Underground home in Mother Earth News

Started by John Raabe, December 08, 2010, 02:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Proud_Poppa

That is an interesting story! I wonder if the humidity/moisture problems they relate is as much a problem with an underground home using today's principles of insulation and waterproofing on the outside of the envelope with concrete interior for heat mass. I've thought an underground home would be a great option.....but the thought of not being able to enjoy the breeze through open windows when weather permits isn't very attractive.
Near McCormick's Creek State Park, Owen County Indiana

Sassy

I couldn't live in an underground house like that!  We live in an underground house but it is the best of both worlds  :)  We have light from all directions, no dark, dank, back rooms, so it's never claustrophobic.  There is more light in our house than most conventional homes. 

So, there are many ways to build an underground house - I would not choose one like that, although the story is interesting... 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

What she said - Oehler is way over that design. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

altaoaks

yep, i had just read that online a few moments before coming back to my fav forum. i thought it looked a bit claustrophobic from the photos, and storage must be an issue because its not tidy out front, instead it is really busy. 

sassy, your build is much more of an open looking place.  thats why i think i find it interesting. 

i have a customer with a traditional 2-story home with solar panels installed, and also used these solar tubes (i think thats what they are called) lighting.  the first time in this downstairs playroom i searched for a while to find the light switch.  i finally gave up.  the homeowner laughed and showed me her tubes, which reflect light in from 1 full story above.  they flood the room from above so naturally.  i bet they would work great in an underground home.