To blow or not

Started by peter nap, November 10, 2007, 09:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter nap

What a title...like the time the town engineer was asking why his micro hydro unit wasn't spinning well and I told him to give it a little more head. He nearly ran out ;D

Anyway.....I'm going to buy my firebox for the fireplace nexxt week. I can either get one with a blower or not.
I don't intend to use glass doors so I'm not sure a blower will make much difference.

Any opinions?

glenn kangiser

I built a few stoves and fireplace inserts in the early 70's.

A well designed one doesn't need a blower.  Problem is finding a well designed one.  

I would say the ones I built, designed by an inventor in Oregon were the most advance and proven stoves made, with fins and double walls providing over 300 cfpm convective air circulation.  It is not often you find one with double walls and a good flowing design, Peter.

I'd say look it over and if it looks like it needs it, blow it.

Keep in mind that fans usually need to be replaced in a matter of time so ease of replacement and availability of parts is a consideration.  It will also require electric power.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Peter, is the blown (supercharged?) firebox the same as the naturally aspirated firebox, but just without the blower? Or is it a totally different design? If about the same would the unit still convect heat with the blower off or would it be an obstruction?

Myself. I'd try to stay away from needing a blower just because if you can get the job done without one, it's a simpler machine. And there's the power issue. Blower suck power as they blow air.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

desdawg

Since you are using solar power Peter I would avoid the blower. JMO.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

glenn kangiser

Good point, desdawg.  A fan on all day or night will suck a lot of juice.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

QuoteGood point, desdawg.  A fan on all day or night will suck a lot of juice.

That was my point above. Maybe I was not succinct enough. The RV furnace fan/blower is terrible, and it only runs on demand/cycles..

QuoteBlower suck power as they blow air.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I have the problem of reviewing the postings quickly and not always remembering if someone already made the point or not.

As I get older the CRS begins to take it's toll. ::)