Problem while laying down OSB

Started by youngins, June 06, 2007, 09:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngins

Hello,

We started putting down the sub-floor OSB:

For reference, the T&G of the OSB are on the south and north (12 ') sides respectively. The T&G runs perpendicular to the joists.

After laying out all the OSB, the north and south sides just barely make it to the middle of the RIM joists. The east and west sides (8') of the OSB overhang each end floor joist by inch or so.

We tapped everything in the best we could, but cannot seem to fix the overhang.

We are at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

Jens

Go ahead and let the end fall in the middle of the rim, as long as the other end splits the joist.  Let the sheets overhang on one of the other edges, but flush on one, trim off the extra.  When you start the layout for a floor or wall, you need to hook the tape on the end, go 15 1/4, mark, and your joist goes on the far side of the mark.  Then pull 16" from there, then a mark (16 and go, or if the x is on the other side, 16 and back).  This way the sheets split at the joint, but go all the way to the end of the framing.  I assume that is where you ran into problems.  Very easy mistake to make, as it isn't something one would normally thing of.  It won't be a problem to have 3/4' of subfloor missing under your wall.  T&G subfloor sometimes comes 49' wide.  I think this is so it is 48" without the T&G.  Good luck.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

youngins

Your post just made me realize my downfall!!!

When we originally cut the 12' rim joist - we were using the premise that the OSB should be laid with the T&G parallel with the joists.  We cut the rim joist so the total length of the structure would be 143" - the exact length of all three 4' sections of OSB put together.

Recently, we learned that OSB should be laid down so the T&G is perpendicular with the joists. Me, in my quest to do things "right", insisted (against Wendy's intuition) to change the way so it would be done "right."

OK - well we can still use the piece of OSB which we cut in half. Time to be nice to the Mrs. and take my  "told you" so's. Lesson learned - the hard way as usual...

PEG688

Lay it the right way Chris  ::), fer cryin out loud !! >:( Turn those two half sheet so the factory edge 's butt as well.  The 4' factory edge to the 8' factory edge .

Start with the 4 ' sheet  centered on your joist  (the 4th one in from the end counting the rim ) run the 8' sheet to the end and cut it off "back a fuzz" (1/4") so it does not over hang but is setback on the rim joist that "fuzz" , you gotta cut your plate stock now anyway since you screwed the pooch by thinkin way to much . So yer Lil house is going to be 143" so what??

So is your layout correct is it 15 1/4" to the joist and 16 3/4" to the far side ?? If not scab on a 2x4 sister glued and nailed to the joist so you have something to nail the subfloor to , simple .

Have some gronnicles man  ;D

Computer ginks , Harumpt  ::)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

youngins

YES - With the 4'x4' staggered and T&G perpendicular to the joist - the edges of the OSB are exactly where they need to be to fasten the joists.  

We have the corners fastened for tonight - will end up with every 6"-8" all around.

PEG688

youngins

I was planning on putting in a #8 fastener every 6 to 8 inches along each piece of OSB - or is that overkill?

Please advise.

Chris

PEG688

QuoteI was planning on putting in a #8 fastener every 6 to 8 inches along each piece of OSB - or is that overkill?

Please advise.

Chris

Ya 6 to 8" on the egdes , 8 to 10 " in the field , I'd recommned a 8 penny gavl. nail , or screws , 2" or so long . If you use 8 sinkers they'll work there way up and the kids will hurt thier feet on the projecting heads :'( .

They galv. nails or screws will stay put.

Wear gloves , you could get a blister or two ;D

G/L PEG

Jens

I didn't even see the way the sheets are in the photo!  143"?  just add an inch, and make the wall overhang a little, fir out the rim joist for the sheeting.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!