Using an old mobile home site for a new home

Started by BigMish, May 31, 2007, 08:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMish

Hello all,
Been away for a while. We're starting to look at land, which feels like an exciting first step!

My question concerns this process: we're seeing  lot of properties with old mobile homes on them. They have septic systems, wells and electric already installed. My questions are these:
- how easy will it be to hook up the old lines (I'm particularly curious about the septic as I don't really have any experience in this area)?
- Any one have any ideas on how I may try to find a buyer for the thing? If I can't find one, where would I dispose of this thing?!
- has any one gone this route? What where your experiences? Any lessons learned?

Thanks, as always, M

jraabe

Be sure to check with the county health department about hooking into an existing septic system. If it is relatively new and the proposed new house does not have more bedrooms than the mobile then it may be usable. The connection to the septic line is a plumbing problem but probably not a big deal.

You may be able to give the old mobile away (or even get some money for it) if it will be easy to move.  (A single wide is easier to move than a double.)

glenn-k

Keep in mind 1/4" per foot grade to the existing waste lines -- you may have to build a pad to get enough slope if you get too far away from it.

desdawg

What Glenn and John said. If the MH was set on top of the ground rather than set in the ground the septic may be pretty shallow. All septics are not created equal either. Typically a 3 bedroom home requires a 1000 gallon tank and appropriately sized leaching field designed to handle 450 gallons of effluent per day.  A 4 bedroom requires a 1250 gallon system and 600 gpd and a 5 bedroom a 1500 gallon system and 750 gpd. At least those are the rules here. So make sure of what you have before you sign on the dotted line and can't use it due to improper sizing for what you want to build.

BigMish