bathroom clearances..

Started by pocono_couple, May 02, 2007, 08:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pocono_couple

after visiting this site countless times over the past few years, we are just about to begin building our own cottage in NE Pennsylvania.  I need to modify my bathroom layout, and I was wondering if anyone had some advice about websites that gave minimum clearances for toilets.  How much room do we need to allot around the toilet?   Obviously, space is a big consideration..  our bathroom will be on the small side.  thanks!  jason

glenn kangiser

Measuring one of ours it has 36" - roomy enough - 30" would be tight - following site says 16" min to wall or other fixture side - that would be 32"

http://www.bathandkitchenstudio.com/how_to.html

I don't know code requirements off hand.  
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

wingam00

JTHatcher, You may want to check out your local libiary.  I found many books and they had "pictures". I love pictures.  Also if you have to pull the "Permit" may want to check with them on the "code".  I have seen just on the toilet specs range from 16" to 12" from the center of the flange to a wall or tub.  

Mark

John Raabe

Jason:

On our sister site, PlanHelp.com, there are a lot of helpful downloads that might justify the $29 membership (3 months)

Here is a sample of one topic area:

Looking a bit deeper into the layout sheet is this diagram:

These dimensions have been proven to work and should meet most codes. As Glenn mentioned, 36" is better for the width of the toilet area if it will be enclosed by walls, 30" is fine for normal weight, non-wheelchair folks when there is a tub next to it.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

Go to section R307 of the IRC2003

It's available at this link here   http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1172766949
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Thanks MountainDon for resurfacing that fine link.

Pretty much min 15" either side of the centerline of the flange and 21" min in front of the unit.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

nitesurfer

This is one area to devote as much space as you can to.....don't skimp or you will find yourself putting up with endless frustrations...
I once lived in a rented house that had a vanity in front of the toilet pan...It was a snap to use the vanity but every time you were on the toilet and leant forward to wipe...bang...head bumps into vanity......
And then there are other places I've lived where it seems that you need to be a master at yoga just to use the facilities...
So if you have to, go tight, but my personal experience and advice is to try to allow as much room as you can and don't try and slide into the minimum end of the space requirements as these seem to have been made by someone sitting on a toilet going "yeah I fit"... and seem to have no relation to user friendly dimensions at all..
Remember....you will probably be stuck with this design for some time....and what's the outlook on life when a simle thing like taking a trip to the john becomes a tide of frustration

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the forum, nitesurfer.

I find that the tall handicap toilets are a problem too.  When perched atop one of them I find it difficult to keep enough pressure on the floor.  As the toes break loose due to lack of traction I find my feet headed behind me toward the tank and forehead headed toward the floor kind of like one of those glass drinking birds with the liquid in the bottom.  (OK - so it hasn't quite happened, but close).

http://www.borderschess.org/energy.htm
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

JRR

As the bathroom grows smaller in size, one should consider outward-opening doors.  

If the door must open inwardly, make sure the knob is installed extra distance from the latch-jamb .... that is, if you are making a custom door and have a choice.  Also avoid placing towel racks or other accessories where they might interfere with hand clearance as the door is opened or closed.  Lever instead of knob handles can help minimize the hand-bruise risk.

Soap dishes, etc  ... are often more useful if placed on a shower wall other than the wall that holds the shower valves and other hardware.

desdawg

Many years ago I had an uncle who lived in an 8' wide 1950's vintage mobile home. The bathroom was so small he said he could
sh*#, shower and shave all at the same time. It was a very efficient use of the space available.  :-/
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

Amanda_931

Bifold doors?

Or even those truly nasty vinyl accordion types?  (would be nice if they came in something other than vinyl)

curtain in the door??

(I lived in a "servant's cottage" in Honolulu for years that when you opened the front door, you looked directly into the shower.  Toilet was in its own little room with an outward facing door.)

I once installed a chest-type handle slant-wise on a door so that one could grab it with the most likely hand without barking knuckles on a built-in shelf.

Dan

QuoteBifold doors?

I put a bifold door on the toilet room in my 8x10 shack, and actually so they open inward, works well.

Dan