Living small in California

Started by Texan_lost_in_cali, December 03, 2005, 11:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texan_lost_in_cali

Good Day All,
I found this forum and joined late last night while I have been researching my ideas for a small home. I own some land out near the Mojave Desert, every time I think I have found a good idea and begin to ask the building officials I get grief. Either I get well you have to have 700 feet minimum, or we will need to get three outside engineers to review your idea, plus everytime I turn around they have their hand out for more money and paperwork to waste my time. I have learned in my area that I can build a building 120 sq ft or less under their building codes. I am very interested in small strawbale and have even seen a website that has plans for a multiple building compound with basically each building being a room. I am told in my area there is plenty of water and a well is easy to get with about 13K.... seems there must be a better way there also. I am amazed that California has so many laws just so they can get more money it seems. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  

glenn-k

Mornin' Tex and welcome to the forum.  You shouldn't ask me questions like that --- I'm a recovering government basher. (I say that unabashedly).  :)  You'll cause me to fall off the wagon.  Gosh - I guess then I could run for President of the United States. ;D

Excuse me for a moment - I have to call my support team now.  GBA -- (like AA or NA)  Peter - help me -- I just took another swat at the government. :-/  (See the last posting under Engineered Septic for where I nearly fell off the wagon)  Sorry, John. :(

Okay - I'm better now. :)

Well, Tex, I think you have a point there.  I have been considering this for a customer and have a friend has done something similar.  I have been thinking of non-connected free standing structures beside each other with different roof elevations -not touching but the high roof overlaps the low roof -maybe with non-connected angle flashings.  Foam rubber could seal the gaps between them and they still would not be connected. ;D

BTW, Tex, I have spent quite a bit of time working and exploring your area- there is a lot of cool stuff there- Randsburg - a cool gold mining town (pop. about 50 I would guess)  the gov. recently allowed a Canadian company to come to and extract the gold-  they took the whole mountain - I was there for the gigantic diesel fuel and fertilizer (anfo) blast at lunch time one day.  A very impressive blast that moved a great part of the mountain over a hundred feet or so and stacked it to be hauled away by giant trucks to be heap leached with cyanide. :o

glenn-k

What do I think :question  I think you have to do it-- that's what I think.  

Thanks for posting that site also - It's making my imagination run away with me now.  I haven't seen it before.   :)

glenn-k

Please keep us posted on your plans and progress - who knows - maybe we can put together a bale raising. :)

jwv

Robert has some great plans on that site.  I, too, liked The Compound and I also found The Courtyard interesting.  I think that one could be buile in stages.

Check this one out:
http://caneloproject.com/pages/currrent%20projects/cottage.html

Judy

glenn-k

Beautiful little building by the Steens -who have also authored or co-authored some great books.  I always get more cool ideas when I see links like that.  Thanks, Judy.

From the above site:

Texan_lost_in_cali

Wow looks wonderful, and I hear that in that area of Arizona there are no building codes and therfore no issues with the governing bodies... sounds like a little freedom, maybe I can write a book about it and I can quit working and build, ok that was a nice ten second dream. Well thank you for the idea it does look like what I have been thinking of but with one room for each of my chidren and myself and another for a kitchen and bath area would be nice. I am thinking I just need to make up my mind to do it and keep it real small and therfore under the radar.

glenn-k

That sounds like a plan - I like the compound idea on the link you posted.  That should keep you legal.   Avoiding confrontations is the best way to go if you can - but a man still has a Constitutional right to provide shelter for his family. :)

Amanda_931

I want to get into something bigger than 200 square feet.

This fall would have been nice.

If it's to be "the house" you (y'all) might do the trick of closing off as much of your present dwelling so as to make it whatever square feet and live in just that for a year.

And, just for laughs, ask if the visible-from-the-outside footprint or the inside footprint is what counts towards those sub-permit square feet.

But that Steen cottage is gorgeous.  I'd like a--quite a bit larger--version of it.  Story and a half, generous overhangs/porches, colors.

glenn-k

Or have 120 square feet visible -- the rest invisible --- I love gardens on roofs. :-/

jwv

FYI,

If you're in the SO AZ area or plan to be, the Steens host a tour of their compound with various types of alternative building examples.  The next one is Dec 10 but they do this at least twice/year.  Check the website as posted previously.

WARNING!! You will leave with your head crammed with ideas so plan your drive home to avoid lumberyards, building centers, etc.  ;)

Judy

Texan_lost_in_cali

Well believe it or not I am driving to Florida for Christmas accross I-10 and I also noticed that they have a Bed and Breakfast, looks like I might be in for trouble.....

jwv

You're hosed!!! :o

But seriously, Canelo is off the beaten path but definitely worth the drive.  Mapquest it or PM me and I can give directions.  You may not want to go back to Cali!!

Judy

glenn-k

QuoteYou're hosed!!! :o

Judy

Just curious, Judy -- was "Strange Brew" one of your favorite movies too? ;D

John_M

Koo loo koo koo....koo loo koo koo

Koo loo koo koo....koo loo koo kooooooooo

Is that what you were referring to Glen?

glenn-k

Yeah, hoser--- you know the song, eh?  "No way I'm gonna wreck this --this is a beer truck."  "Take off, hoser."  I watched it a million times -laughed at every one.

jwv

QuoteYou're hosed!!! :o

Judy

Just curious, Judy -- was "Strange Brew" one of your favorite movies too? ;D

Ah, the McKenzie brothers... eh?

I liked it but another of my  favorites  Office Space:

Bob Porter: Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
Peter Gibbons: I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob!

Judy

End of Hijack

Texan_lost_in_cali

Yeah I think were going to need you to move your desk to the basement, Oooops you already did huh? LOL