Paint Sprayer

Started by MountainDon, April 08, 2007, 11:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I have a couple old paint spray guns w/cups; the type that use you use with an air compressor. They work well but fill the air with a lot of air/paint mix.

I have an indoor and outdoor projects in the works.

I've never used an airless sprayer. Have you? What do you think of them. Materials to be sprayed would be latex paint and stain and clear urethane (water based). Recommendations, thoughts. Thanks
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Yes both airless , and HVLP types . Airless are more what site painters blow paint on houses with high pressure , high volume .

Interior trim / cabinets doors etc are more commonly painted with HVLP type sprayer , high volume / low pressure .

The cabinet shop had this brand , hooked up to the compressor with a inline pressure reg to drop pressuer and a inline filter to remove the water that is in compresed air. They sell self contained kits that well are self contained ;D

http://www.hvlp.com/apollo/products.htm

This site has airless sprayers ,

http://www.o-geepaint.com/Sprayers/Sprayers.shtml

We have this one , works good , cost alot ;D

http://www.o-geepaint.com/Sprayers/Graco/images/umii795hi.jpg

So what do you need to paint?? Rental might fit your needs ??

So it depends  ;D

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Thanks PEG.

Project 1: a friend's nearly completed workshop building, 30 x 45; exterior T1-11 siding (latex paint), and interior drywall (latex paint)

Project 2: when it gets built, my cabin in the woods. Interior, clear finish on 1 x 6 T&G walls. And same clear finish on a couple wardrobes.

Still have not decided on the exterior.   :-/
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

The airless would be your best bet/ buy / rental for that type work . The HVLP's are more to contain the overspray , although you could do either job with either rig , IMO the airless would fit those two projects better overall.

The waredrobe I'd do in the washer ;D ;D  Jest kidding !! That's where the HVLP would out do / be better than the  airless, but with patients/ care  the airless could do it you'd just need more space and a very clean arae to spray in as the airless will kick up any dust and deposit it in your finish. Which on the exterior and on those walls isn;t a big a deal . But again on the wall / 1x6 the cleaner you can make your area to be sprayed the better the result.    
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Bill

If I can also ask a question on this topic-I hate painting and I am in the middle of remodeling my townhouse so we can then sell it and build that dream place in the country. Can I use an airless or HVLP to paint the interior walls and just drape the furniture/floors-or is there to much overspray? Can you do those dreaded ceilings? Thanks.

Bill
Enjoy!!!!

glenn kangiser

The airless would be the least overspray of the sprayers, but that's not saying a lot.  Still quite a bit in my opinion.  If you have the rough - cottage cheese type texture on the ceiling the airless does pretty well but still quite a bit of paint in the air.  I did a remodel with mine.

For room painting I liked a medium heavy roller the best.  A friend and I repainted lots of motel rooms for a contractor in Oregon.  We put our brushes and rollers in plastic bags at the end of the day so we didn't have to clean them or reload them.  We cut in all the edges with a brush and rolled the rest.  We didn't use drop cloths or remove furniture.  Any drips were just cleaned from the carpet with waterless handcleaner - the type without pumice.

We kept the roller loaded well with paint and did it in one coat.

We could do a complete large motel room in about 2 1/2 hours as I recall.  

Contractor probably made good money -- we were high school kids and probably got about $10 or so a room - we were rich. :-?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

QuoteCan I use an airless or HVLP to paint the interior walls and just drape the furniture/floors-or is there to much overspray?  Thanks.Bill
Hi Bill, no problem jumping in on a thread. I do it all the time.  :)

From what I've seen around here with new home construction, my opinion is that there's too much overspray to spray an interior that is not either totally empty or everything exceptionally well covered. The typical tract house is painted all off white inside and there's white all over the unfinished floor and on the unmasked glass in the windows.

I know my old spray guns are probably worse in the overspray dept. I in herited them from my Dad, they must be 40-45 + years old by now  :o  Still work; last they were used was to paint an old barn red, shingles black, about 10 years ago.

The interiors I plan on will be new and empty... the workshop has a concrete slab floor that will be cleaned and finished after. My cabin ceiling and walls will be clear sprayed before the ceramic tile floor is done.

bayview

You may want to thin latex primer.  The primer was to "thick", clogging the nozzle.  Other than that, I was impressed with the speed of the airless.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .