Add on to cabin

Started by jwsomrvl, November 03, 2015, 10:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwsomrvl

I'm considering purchasing a cabin with post on pier type foundation. The cabin is built in a significant slope (12 in 12). A washroom has been added to the back of the cabin. The side hill was excavated on 2 sides of the washroom. There is about 6 inches of space between the walls and a 5'  excavation (on 2 sides). The ground slopes uphill from this point at quite a steep angle. I'm concerned about the stability of the excavation and want to have it checked by an engineer as a condition of sale. I don't want to waste my time and money on this inspection if it would definitely not be approved.
Anyone have any comments about such a construction technique?

Don_P

He'll call for remedial foundation work from your description. I'd have him look the whole thing over while he's there.

John Raabe

I fully agree with a full inspection. You might also check with the county to see if there have ever been any permits recorded.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

hpinson

Woodsrule

Hpinson - so that's not safe? I was thinking about making an offer ;)

Don_P

Can anyone remember the name and find a pic of the cantilevered house near Taliesin East, around Spring Green WI? I think he dangled out the length of a football field.

poppy

Don, you may be referring to House on the Rock which has an infinity room that cantilevers over 200 ft. 
http://www.bestoflakegeneva.com/content/news-house-rock

Don_P

Poppy!, you're still out there, hope all is well  :) Yup that's it, my wallet was too sore after touring Frank's house to stop but I caught a public TV show on it while we were there.

poppy

Yep, I'm still out here.  Haven't done much on the cabin or the house rehab in the last two or three years, so not much to post, but I visit this site most every day.  This board and farmallcub.com are my favorite places on the interweb. 

I'm doing quite well, thank you.