BOB CLARK'S MAKING DO SHACK

Started by mark_chenail, December 11, 2006, 02:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_chenail

A friend posted this on one of the Homesteading Boards I belong to.  He's building this little house on  80 acres he has in Iowa.  He's making do with found materials and some of his methods are unconventional, but I think we might find it interesting to watch his progress.  Im sure he'd appreciate any comments and feedback.   I dont think he has a plan...just sort of build as he goes.

http://phoenixfriends.proboards83.c...61546555&page=1

And heres the link to the thread on the Homesteading board:

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155309

bob_clark

hey, I made it. thanks for posting mark.

hey guys dont be too rough on me, I havent built anything bigger than a dog house before.

I just plan to keep it simple and cheap

any help would be great

Amanda_931

The bridge timbers make it look really solid.  I might have put some blocking or cross-bracing in anyway, somebody will know if it needs it.

But I sure would have done the happy dance on the floor when it got nailed down.

glenn-k

Hi Bob.

One thing you may find a use for someday is that you can make good spikes from rebar any length you want.  I use a drill the same nominal size as the rebar then drive the rebar spike in with a 4 lb sledge.  I commonly use 16 inch rebar and drill with a 16" screw tipped auger bit when spiking logs together.

FarmerChad

I can testify to the durability of Osage Orange Trees. When we first started clearing the land, we had a bunch of Osage Orange. I got to the point of almost tears when it came to cutting them down. Not tears for the trees, but for the poor chainsaw... one tree all but did the chain in. I researched the tree, come to find out, the settlers would often use the tree for just about anything structural. Fences, Houses, etc. If I recall, the buring properties even exceed coal. And beleive me, West Virginia is coal country.