To use "free" or not to use "free&q

Started by Ray_N, September 14, 2005, 05:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray_N

I've been debating on what is the best use for 5 or 6 rolls of R-11 23" wide that I have (found piled up in the crawlspace of my house).

I'm building the little house in a cold climate,  but as an accillary (sp?) building.  So, I'm juggling the following........

1) Cutting to 14 1/2 width would be fine for the walls, messy with a lot of waste but the price is right.

2) Even though I'm counting on a heavy snow load - I think the 12:12 pitch would still allow me to go with 2x6 rafters (am I wrong on this? so I go with 2x8).  Two rolls of the R-11 would insulate this nicely, and leave a nice air space for venting.

3) I realize the R-11 is kind of wimpy for the roof in cold climates, but then again we are talking a tiny building heated by a woodstove and only used occasionally - and probably never in the coldest days.

So what do you-all think?  Stick with 2x6, use the R-11,  or be safe and do 2x8's and R19;  or in your opinion it really wouldn't make a difference?

John Raabe

I do 24" spacing on the walls (assuming they are not up yet!) and use it there.

R-21 in the ceiling would be much better.

Almost all buildings get used more and last longer than the initial builder thinks they will. This is why there are well paid remodel contractors  ;)
None of us are as smart as all of us.