Framing materials

Started by Chuckca, May 24, 2005, 10:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckca

I was in Home Depot last night....I was amazed to see only green doug fir 2 or better....not one stack of KD...is this a norm...?

Does NE1 or everyone frame with green lumber....?

rwalter

Chuck,

It must be just what your Regional Home Depots are stocking. The Home Depots in my area, WNY only have KD Hem Fir. If you want Doug Fir you have to special order it. In my area they are getting very aggressive on there pricing and will beat any competitors bid on a line by line item by 10%. I ended up ordering most of my lumber from them just because of that reason, I just made sure I ordered a few extra pieces since the Home Depot's in my region seem to have a lot of "wild wood". I even went out and bought myself a tweeker bar so I have less problems.

trish

For those of us who are new to this lingo, could you please define "tweeker bar".
Thanks

John Raabe

The tweaker bar is used for coaxing framing members (especially green wood) into position to be nailed off.

http://www.mayhew.com/products/tweaker.htm

None of us are as smart as all of us.

trish

THank you for the information and the picture.  My husband has lots of tools, but not one of these.  However, I think I now know what to get him for Father's Day.  :)

Again, many thanks,
Trish

jonsey/downunder

Could you get me one for father's day to? All I ever get is frilly stuff and sewing gear.
jonesy. ;D
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

John Raabe

It is a rather manly looking device isn't it?  :-X

A brute force persuader that's truely buff!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Tweaker Bar -----Okay, John, you're saying it is a tool -- not a place we would go to abuse Methamphetamine, Cocaine or other stimulants.  ???

Jonesy, I don't mind you wearing your fathers day dresses, and fishnet stockings etc., but stay away from the tweaker bars-- that stuff isn't good for you.

Actually I had only heard the term because of an ex-building contractor who had the problem.  They always claim they quit. Fortunately he only did some welding for me and was easy to get rid of.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.