The Homeless

Started by sparks, December 05, 2011, 11:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

This posting is currently in a construction mode.

Sorry for the inconvienance

Will be be back in a day or two

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

fishing_guy

Fitting that your post is under construction considering the building nature of the forum.  Remember to post pictures!
;D
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

sparks

Oh my gosh.......forgot about the homeless...........forgot about even starting this thread.......

Sorry, no pics......just a couple of short anecdotes.......

I've spoken with a lot of homeless folks. Probably because I'm in the railroad business. Seems there are a lot of unfortunates hanging around the tracks..........for various reasons...............

Circa 1992 I was working in the near downtown Chicago area and met a guy that was living in a refrigerator shipping box. Pretty much in the shadow of the early morning Sears Tower light.  Don't recall his name. He had two daughters, a wife, and a life in total chaos..............his wife had left him, he quit his job working on the 20th floor of some building in the Chicago skyline he pointed out to me .........and became a bum...........living in his box. I talked to him for a bit.......and inquired if he loved his children...........have no idea what ever happened to that guy.

Met another guy at a stop light in Iowa City just after this past Thanksgiving. A young man.........maybe 30. His name was Carl. He was holding a cardboard sign.......homeless....need help. I parked my truck down the street a ways and walked back to see him. His wife had left him, with two little girls, and he had lost his home. An Iraqi war vet. With PSTD. Living in a low rent motel....................................As we parted, I gave him a few bucks to help with the little gals Christmas........................and I have no idea what is happening with him now.

I'm gonna take a few bags of groceries to the local homeless shelter tomorrow............just because I can.

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

firefox

good on you! We try to give to the Wounded Warrior Project when we can.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

peternap

I run across them every time I go to the City and I have mixed feelings.

By far, they are drug addicts, drunks or con men. That's not my problem and I' not going to help.

But then, I run across one every once in a while that tells a good story. I'm not that gullible, I used to have to chase these fellows through every back lot and project street around.

I was on my way to the General Assembly building last Wednesday for a meeting. I wanted to check the camera I had under the car (don't ask) :-\ and I don't do well in city traffic anyway...so I pulled into a gas station.

A man came up who looked recent military, and introduced himself, then told me he was just trying to get to New Jersy and had recently been discharged by the Marines.
Real story or a con...I'll never know but I gave him $50.00.

Maybe I am that gullible! :-[
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

firefox

Next time ask to see his DD-214. That is his discharge papers. In some cases their belongings
may have been stolen, but look closely at his expression when he replies. This might let
you know if he is coning you or not.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824