Help evaluating cedar siding salvage strategies

Started by MikeT, May 25, 2007, 06:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

A while ago I asked about a cementitious siding product for my beach house project.  When I mentioned that the historic house on the Reed College campus was getting resided, John chimed in with this sage comment:

"If, on the other hand, you want to extend the life and soul of a historic building, then you not only have to use the same materials cut to the same shapes as the original building had, but you should reclaim, recycle and reuse as much material as possible from this building and others of the same period that might be being torn down."

Well, John, you got me exploring a line of thinking that has me reclaiming and reusing the old cedar shingles from this house.  I took an architect friend  (who has an extensive background in historic preservation) of mine out to lunch and then over to look at the shingles.  His comment was that the shingles overall were in real good shape but that some should be replaced.  He also felt that if careful during removal, that the majority of these shingles could be salvaged and reused.  I got all excited thinking I found a new way to put siding on my beach house project that would only be a fraction of the cost.  The cost of the siding I was looking at would run close to $7000 for the materials alone.   Well....

Because the college is always (or at least usually) one to cover its legal liability, they do not want me and my friends coming over to the house and removing the shingles as DIYers.  They want someone who is licensed, bonded and secured.  Any they are not sure that many of the shingles can be saved because time is money, and what I am asking for would take more time than simply starting from the bottom and ripping those suckers off there.  What I am proposing is to start from the top, pry the shingles off at the bottom and expose the nail heads and then take the nails out.  This obviously would take more time, but I am willing to cover the difference in time between the two methods PLUS I would haul away all the removed material.  What I am proposing is that they use their contractor and I pay the difference.

What is your reaction to this idea/method?  I think I need shingles to cover 2000 sf,  and this building is three times that size.  Any other ideas or comments out there?

You can see the historic house from a number of different angles by going to:
http://web.reed.edu/apply/tour/index.html?welcome_to_campus/panos/prexy2.html~mainFrame

desdawg

If these are regular old shake shingles the method I would use would be to punch the nails through with a nailset or similar tool. The old nailhole will be covered when they are reinstalled.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

MikeT

Thanks, Desdawg.  I haven't explored this way of thinking but I see what you are saying.  In normal installation would a nail actually have gone through two layers of shakes-- the nail goes through a thicker part of the top and then through the thinner, tapered end of the one behind it that is actually a part of the course below?  If so, you would have two holes per shake to punch though.  Am I tracking?

glenn kangiser

Sounds like a good idea dedawg.  All I could add to that one would be to get an air chisel - Harbor Freight sells them for $9.99 with punches.  Possibly modify the small round punch to be the right size with a bit of cup for the nail heads.  !/2 second per nail should do it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47868

I actually saw another one there for $4.99.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MikeT

Thanks for the idea of going to Harbor Freight. I picked up the tool you referenced for $4.99.  Then of course were the other impulse buys....so $40 later, I left, knowing that I was doing my part to increase our trade deficit with China.

We'll see how this works.  

mt

glenn kangiser

I bought the $9.99 one a couple months ago.  A bit of oil helps keep them alive for a long time.  I cannot even believe the prices there sometimes.  People in China work cheap. At the same time they have nothing else - -- we are all victims of the system.  They need work --- I need cheap tools because all of our jobs have been sent overseas.   :)

Even though cheap, I find that their tools usually get the job done for me.  Especially if I'm not making a career out of using that tool.

They also have some tools that no one else can touch-- price wise or even to have it --- never seen anything like these anywhere else.  The very best tool kit for a truck if you do a bit of monkeywrenching.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45951

Comes in a blow molded case with (2 or 3?) removable trays so you don't lose anything if you put it back-- I have a little problem.   :-/

... and who could forget this favorite? :-?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95666

1250 foot lbs. for $300.00   :o

Yes - I am the proud father of one. ::)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

Harbor Freight get's a bit of my business as well for tools I don't use often. I can relate to the impuse buying. Kinda like a candy store the first couple of times you visit.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

builderboy

OK so now you've got me going on cheap Chinese products. I don't have a problem with cheap, but I do expect it to work! Recently bought a can opener that literally would not open cans. My 94 year old father pulled it out of the trash and modified it so it now works. Also, a radio that won't receive signal - anywhere! Buyer beware, those guys who work cheap - well ......they work cheap. I could rant on but gotta go to work (not cheap).

glenn kangiser

I agree with you on a lot of the cheap Chinese stuff builderboy.

Most of the Harbor Freight stuff works pretty well and all is guaranteed for at least a year if I recall correctly.  They seem to weed out most of the real garbage pretty well and some of their stuff is outstanding and not available anywhere else in a comparable product.

I think the buyer beware warning is good and when I buy from them I do tend to avoid things  that look like they won't hold up.

One thing they have that is not great is their India rubber air hoses.  The money would be better spent on a Goodyear rubber air hose as the Harbor ones deteriorate rapidly even though they look good when you buy them.