roofing choice for construction shed

Started by MikeT, May 20, 2007, 11:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

Yesterday was one of those days on the Oregon coast where you really want a roof over your head...rain was constant, although in true Oregon fashion it came down in all its forms-spitting, showering, pouring, drizzling, and misting.   Since it was too miserable to do any real cutting and framing, I opted to frame and sheathe walls that I had already cut for a construction shed.  I would have had it done earlier, but I had a small misunderstanding with the county and had to take it down--but that is another story.

Now to my question:

I have 1/2" plywood that I could sheathe the roof with, but was wondering if I put purlins on my rafters, if I should consider putting corrugated fiberglass panels on instead.  It might give me some more light in there....

Just weighing options.

Thanks for your collective thoughts.....

mt

glenn kangiser

For a construction shed it could be good.  We put them in steel buildings quite often.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote... but I had a small misunderstanding with the county and had to take it down--but that is another story.
I'd like to extend my sympathies. I hope all ends well. G/L

What would you use if you didn't use the corrugated panels? As for the corrugated you could mix in some "clear" fiberglass with opaque or even corrugated steel.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

If I didn't use the corrugated panels, I would put 1/2"plywood over the rafters and then tar paper and then 3 tab composite shingles that I have sitting in the garage.  It would be much faster and quicker, I think, for this 12x12 shed to go with the corrugated fiberglass.  

I originally had constructed a 12 x 16 shed and had it all up save for the roof when the county told me that I misunderstood their rules and I had to have a primary residence before building and accessory structure....then when I took the walls down the person who owns the lot next to mine complained that it was ugly sitting like that and the county determined that the deconstructed shed was some sort of hazard, so I had to remove it from the site.  All in all it was a big pain, but since I didn't complain too much and tried to work with the county to comply, I have found that subsequent interactions have been friendly and helpful and they are "on my side" to the extent that they can be.

Anyway, onward!

mt

MountainDon

Sometimes all you can do is grin and bear it.   :'(  If you can laugh it helps too. G/L on your further encounters.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MikeT

Well, I think I identified the cheapest option and it will serve as an experiment and a model as well:

I will not go with the fiberglass panels and the purlins.  Rather I will go with the cheapo OSB (still exterior rated) and sheathe, tarpaper, and shingle the roof.  That way, I can have a place to practice before I work on the beach house proper, and my family can see an example of how to or not to do the sheathing, tarpaper and shingles.  

Then I can see how this OSB holds up in the Oregon coastal climate, but the stakes are much lower because it is on a construction shed and not my main residence.

We'll see how this goes this Memorial Day weekend.