books

Started by hobbiest, April 04, 2007, 07:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbiest

I am probably a rare person, in that most of what I know about building, whether wood or metal, I learned by reading and then doing.  Here are some books that have helped a lot, and will probably help any one of you.  

Taunton press:
framing floors, walls, and cielings
roof framing
building staircases
finish carpentry
cabinets and built-ins

Taunton press does Fine Homebuilding mag, and it is a huge friend and teacher as well.  I just met a guy who is remodeling his house, and did a really nice gabled dormer.  He was a bit embarassed to tell me that he read an article in FH and decided he could do it.  I thought that was one of the coolest things I'd heard someone say in a long time!  My business partner doesn't think that people can learn from books.  I think he is just jealous at my Good Will Hunting approach, when it took him 20 years of getting barked at by senior carpenters to learn the same stuff!

If anybody has any additions here please...well, add.

glenn-k

I have to agree with you, Hobbiest.  I learn everythnig from books or the net.  I had an old saying about not going to college.  "Nobody has to beat me over the head with a book to make me read it."

If I can watch a pro work so much the better but for the most part I'm self taught.  Well drilling I learned from a severly disabled driller (Henry--- he only made it to a well site once or twice as he was quite near death), books and a friend who worked a while for another driller.  Henry wanted me to succeed as the guy I was competing against tried to almost steal his equipment from him by giving him nothing for it.  He ripped off my friend by repeatedly making deals with him then backing out , so my friend introduced me to Henry and I became a driller, eventually buying the ripoff artist out.

Amanda_931

My mother owned part of a bookstore when I was a kid, swore that the place stayed in business because she bought so many books.  

I'm afraid that I've inherited her book-buying habits.

Amazingly the bookstore--the Country Bookstore in Southern Pines NC--seems to be still in business.