Contract signed - now I can plan

Started by MarkAndDebbie, May 25, 2006, 09:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAndDebbie

Warning - long intoduction...

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking. We got the Big Enchilada about a year when we put a contract on some land in NW GA. It didn't go through :( (I am begining to dislike planning departments). Only minutes ago I signed and faxed back a contract for some land around Calhoun, GA. Cross your fingers. Assuming the planning board and bank approve here is our plan...

We are considering building the 14x24 builders cottage and then adding on a bedroom later. (There are 4 of us - me, mommy, and 21month old twins). We would then focus on fixing up our current home (not bad - just cosmetic changes) and selling it. Depending on funds (self-employed thus variable) we would build a larger house on the property as well (contracting more of the labor). When the house sells we would move into the cottage until the "big" house is finished.

I have tried most of the skills that will be required to build the small cabin - I helped a friend finish his basement - framing, plumbing, electrical. My moto is "pratice on somebody elses..." house, car, kids, etc.

Now we are second guessing ourselves. Would it be easier/cheaper to just build something like the 20x30 then try to add on to our 14x24? I might bid out the roof (metal) so that would seem to be cheaper to do all at once. If I did add on, should I go ahead an pour at least one of the additions piers (currently thinking pt beams on concrete piers)? I thought that might be easier to level to when we're ready to add on.

I wonder if I should I start new theads with different lines of questions?

Thanks,
Mark

pioneergal

Mark....congratulaions to you and the family!

We lived in NE Georgia for 10 years and traveled through NW Georgia often on visits to see friends in Chatanooga.

NW Georgia is beautiful and I hope all plans work out well for you and the family.

As another forum member...Jimmy Cason...so wll stated, getting over the mental aspect of "I can do this" will be your first step.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Pioneergal

Amanda_931

I think it's an
[highlight]
[size=18]It All Depends[/size][/highlight]

Getting something finished--quickly--so you can get moved--go with the smaller house--it may end up being all or nearly all you need.  Or you could rent it out as a B & B when you move across the driveway.  I have friends here who have done exactly that--want to spend a couple of nights on a dairy goat farm?

Take a look at Christopher Alexander's A Pattern Language.  Expensive book, but....

Plenty of marriages have foundered during housebuilding.

(not a few have been strengthened as a result of it as well!)

glenn kangiser

Hi, Mark and Debbie.

Unless you were going to use the extra piers right away I would leave them until later.  They could be trip hazards and are easy to find grade for later with a laser, builders level, level or other ways.

You can continue your questions here if they are part of this topic.  Most of us check for new postings every day or so.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MarkAndDebbie

Wow, it seems like a long time since we updated. I hope our building progress isn't as slow.

We have gotten the necessary variance, closed on the land, and even adjusted the property line with our neighbor since I last updated.  I have a required soil test in the morning. That will allow me to get a septic permit, which is required to get a building permit. I'll be taking off some this summer to build. We're starting with a shed to practice - then the 16x32. Actually, we started with a playhouse in my parents backyard - not quite to Youngin's scale, but I learned a lot.

We'll keep you posted.

glenn kangiser

That is a good way to check your progress --- post here then look back on the dates later - and we can all learn something besides.  

Eagerly awaiting the next update.   :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MarkAndDebbie

In my mind I imagined more of a guy in a lab coat and goggles peering at a test tube for our "Level III Soil Test." What I got was three muscular good-old-boys with an auger. They twisted up four 30 to 40 inch deep holes. One of them (obviously in charge as he did very little digging), took some dirt in his hand and rubbed it together. That's pretty much it. We passed. I gave him a check for $300 and now I can have a septic system put in.

glenn kangiser

That's the key to success --- checks to everybody. :-? :)

Our county environmental health inspector does it here - we supply the hole - backhoe etc.  He's a pretty good guy and will work with us until we find something that satisfies him or it is not possible.