Breaking ground soon/ w pics

Started by Crappie Slayer, June 12, 2011, 09:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappie Slayer

I will be breaking ground on my 16x16 or 16x20 cabin this week, spent all last week clearing my property, spent several 12 hour days and one day with a good sun burn, lol.

I will be digging holes for concrete tubes, thinking of renting a auger track thingy, lol,, ya know the one you drive.. kinda cheap,,120 a day i think... that would be well worth it, save alot of back breaking work and should be able to get all the holes dug in a day.

My question would be,,, would 12 inch tubes be over kill on a cabin of that size,, I have seen alot of 8 inch stuff on this forum, and the local lowes does not sell 10 inchers,, they go from 8 to 12... I want it to be over engineered,, so I was thinking of using 12's.  Oh yeah how do you get the cardboad out of the hole once the concrete is dry?

Anyways, here is the pic of the property before and after the clearing work.

rocking23nf

duncanshannon

looking forward to watching... esp. if you can fix the photos :)
Home: Minneapolis, MN area.  Land: (no cabin yet) Spooner, WI area.  Plan: 20x34 1 1/2 Story. Experience Level: n00b. 
Build Thread: http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=10784.0

MountainDon

The larger the diameter of the concrete column the better they will resist a horizontal force. The extra size makes them push against more earth when horizontal loads occur, making them more stable. The bigger the better in other words. As for the cardboard I'd only worry about removing it where it shows or leave it if it will be covered by skirting or something.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Crappie Slayer

As always I appreciate all the replies,,, I kinda had a hickup and will not be starting on the floor till monday.  As far as the pics go,,, I will have to put them on photo bucket or what ever that website is.  I do have photos all the way from clearing the land to setting the posts in the ground.

I went with 8x8 treated posts in the ground set 4 ft apart, I had to order them at a local yard here in tulsa, home depot or lowes did not have anything that big.  They are setting right on top of rock at around 31 inches to 36 inches depending on where the holes were.  I hit rock with the auger and there was no going through it.

Anyways, i will be doing the main floor support beams on monday like many people have done I will be making the beams out of 3 2x12s and plywood.... the cabin is going to be 16x16 right now with a 10x16 addition to come as money is available.  The floor joists are going to be 2x10's and I hope that will be big enough for the cabin, it is going to basically be 1 3/4 stories, if there is such a thing,, I am 6 ft 2 and I want to be able to stand up in the upstairs.

I will try to get the photos off the ground by Sunday night.  Thanks   Chris aka Crappie Slayer