Foundation Questions

Started by SuperCharlie, September 21, 2010, 01:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperCharlie

Okeys.. Heres my first question

We have to build at least 1600 sqft because of restrictions etc.. our hand drawn floor plan is about 1750sq ft.. something around 50x35.

Our land is pretty high and slopes pretty well... the plan runs longways across a slope of about 2 feet from front to back as in its pretty level across the 50 sides and slopes on the 35 sides.

Our land is pretty much clay for 2-4 feet and then caliche/limestone rock from there down. (Hill Country of Texas if anyone is familiar).

I am wanting to do a pier foundation mostly for cost and to be able to do it myself. We are out of pocketing everything and we are poor cheap folks.

Is this a viable option for my scenario and what would you suggest for sizes, depths and types of piers? Also how many as in how to space them? Also, what size beams on the piers?

I found this..
http://www.countryplans.com/foundation/index.html

but it notes much smaller buildings..

Thoughts?

SC

SuperCharlie

After reading around on the forums some and reviewing my question I realize that this is a big deal no one really wants to chip in on since there are so many variables and liabilities involved. If I had the knowledge and the sense, I prolly wouldnt either.

I am unfortunately between a rock and a hard place for a few reasons I wont get into..and will have to do the best I can after doing as much research as I can with the time I have left before one of those reasons hits me in the **ahems**. [frus]

Unfortunately, I will also be in the same shape for a roof when the time hits but the link I found reading around here with the joist calculator (I think from a MountainDon post) will be invaluable on that one.

Still open if anyone has 2 cents to throw in.. but I get it if not

:)
SC