20x34 2 story or Victoria Cottage?

Started by kalstar, May 29, 2012, 06:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalstar

Which would be more cost effective to build? I am up in the air on which stock plan to go with.  I know the 20x34 is larger (sq ft wise) but with less roof angles and easier framing I am thinking the larger might be less. I am paying a local builder to frame to weather tight then I am taking over. He is charging 4.25 per sq including roof and windows.

Which one would end up being the less expensive overall to build.

Thx in advance for your replies, I know it has been beaten to death.

Jim

kalstar

Any advise? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BADB0Y

My only advise is to choose the one you like,  not the one you think will be cheaper. For one, it always costs more than you think anyway, and for two, Murphy's Law says if you settle for cheaper you will have regrets and wish you went the other route.
Please excuse my typos, I post from my cell phone 90% of the time!

NM_Shooter

A more complex roof will not significantly affect cost.  I agree with picking the one you like.  Don't base this decision on cost, especially if it is a 15% adder or so.  Keep in mind that you can always delay some of the build-out.  Many of us have lived in our structures as they were being built.  Oddly, it is part of the charm.

Good luck.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

kalstar

Thank you for the replies. This is the story. I purchase a piece of land in NH, The asso has requirments of 2 bed 2 bath atleast 1250 sq ft and must have a full basement. Part of the 1250 sq ft can be finished basement. I designed a house but the asso rejected it. They will accept either of the Victorian Cottage or the 20x34 according to the Home owners Asso.   I am trying to keep costs as low as I can so I can do it out of pocket. I have current saved enough to hopefully get it done (60k). The issue is the construction has to be completed within one year from start date or the asso reserves the right to fine $50.00 per day....Ouch. This area is where we wanted to be and the price we paid ($9100) with water and approved septic plans was too good to pass up. But budget is tighter than I wanted it to be.  So hence the question, which one would be the lesser to build.

Thanx so much for the relies so far.

Jim

flyingvan

Anyone else see some red flags here?
   How much help will you have?  Can you devote your entire year to this, or are you working somewhere else at the same time? 
   One year to build a place is pretty ambitious.  If you have good weather, a good crew, no major hang ups, no injuries, no unexpected expenses you can't afford, don't have a giant boulder hidden under your building site, prompt inspectors, and never ever get sick you can do it.  Look through a variety of the owner/builder posts here to get an idea of other people's timelines for building. 
    If I had a rapid deadline it would make the project no fun for me
    If you have a good schedule for construction, you could also have a reserve of cash----draw some lines in the sand as far as "If this isn't done by this date, I'll call in help".  If you're acting as contractor and sub-contracting out, you could pass the late completion fee on to them before you contract.
     What does the association consider 'finished'?  is it final inspection, or just exterior?
Find what you love and let it kill you.

kalstar

Let me clarify. The exterior.... including all landscaping has to be completed within one year. The interior can take forever if one so desires. My goal is to pay a professional framer to weather tight the shell. He is stating he can have it tight to the weather in 5 weeks. Septic, foundation and flat-work another possibly 30 to 45 days before the frame can go up. My timeline for the exterior completion will be October. The 60K is what I have to do the whole project (not including land). I have additional funds I can get to if I need to, but would prefer not to. I am a mizzer so I have most of the building materials already stored and the 60K is in addition to what I have already purchased.

kalstar

I sent both plans to get a frame take off. That should give me an indication of build costs. I'm thinking the 20x34 will be less,  do to the fact that I am sub-ing out the frame and roof. It will be an easier frame and roof to do.