I have a bad well problem !

Started by texasgun, July 01, 2010, 06:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Very Cool.

I worked on an Arco rig a few days as a contract welder and for Hunnicutt and Camp several times - same gig here in California.  H & C paid pretty good - ARCO - not so good - thought they were God and I had to wait until they were ready to shower me with their blessings.  I refused to work for them last time they called - quite a few years back though.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Onkeludo2

Wait!  You get the whole 40' container all to yourself!  Next thing you know, you will be telling me you have indoor plumbing!

I only have half a 40' but mine is a 14' wide unit.  It is even insulated!  I feel like a KING.  The bathroom is still a half-block away.

Mike
Making order from chaos is my passion.

texasgun

I guess I can change this to "I now have a good well problem" :)Ended up with 60 gpm plus. The new drillers that said they would get to me in about 2 weeks turned into about 1 1/2 months but it was worth the wait.I will post pictures  since the drilling process was very unique to this praticaliar problem (sand).First they drilled with a small bit and lots of water and very light air this bit was no larger than the drill stem and was more of a spade than an traditional drill bit.
Next a large bit and more water to keep the hole together
Next they inserted about a 40 foot 12" sleeve using thier rig to push threw the the sand and gravel that was in the hole until they hit solids under the gravel bed and cut the sleeve to fit the depth
Then they drilled threw and blew out that long sleeve that held back the sand, gravel and water. By drilling first with the smaller bit they knew about what the strata and differnt layer depths were like
Below the gravel/water bed the hole hardened up and they went about 20 foot deeper. Next the inserted the casing and well screen. Next a whole truck load of very small pea gravel between the 6"casing and the 12"metal casing driller said it was enough for a 250' well but he wanted a good screen.
WEST TEXAS

rick91351

Wow that is such good news.  I am really glad it all worked out for you. 

rlr
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

texasgun

Next they pulled out the 12" steel casing allowing the gravel to go out the bottom and making a gravel pack around the screen.
Next they bailed it for awhile and then instaled a contraption on top of the well and put a water pipe in the bottom of the well and started the compressor and blew out the well for 3 hours the first day at differnt depths and 4 hrs the next day looked alfulwy sandy to me. The whole time they were addind gravel since it was going down and packing.
Next they brought out a pump that they instaled and said they will pick up next week he said I pump the well continually for the next week and it will clear up. To all of our amazement in 15 minutes the water was completly clear.
The end a happy and relieved new well owner PRAISE GOD I left the well on for 5 days straight using the drillers pump with no problems thats lots of water!
WEST TEXAS

glenn kangiser

Great, Texasgun.  I knew they could do it if you got the right driller.

These guys obviously understood the conditions and what they had to do to make you a well in your situation. 

Some drillers understand nearly all of it quite well and others never will understand what goes on below the surface.  Glad you finally found a good one. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

OlJarhead

WOW!  Awesome!  60gpm??  Holy crap!  I wish I could get 6GPM!

texasgun

Yep I am still celebrating. Just got done pouring a 3 x 5 slab for pump house. :)
WEST TEXAS

UK4X4

excellent news !

and water well driller that understood the sand issue and did a gravelpack !

Bet your very pleased !

considerations

"Wonder what kind of problems a septic in solid sand will bring?"

I don't think you will have any....maybe keep it at least 100 or so feet away and downhill from the well  ;D

Anyway, around here, they make you truck in a whole mountain of sand (yes that sand you are worried about) and put all the septic piping and percolators and aerators ad nauseum in that sand.   The powers that be don't like our evergreen duff and multicolored clay for drain fields. No, Sir.  So we import sand.

Certainly you want to check the codes (sorry Glenn) in case they have a different opinion about setbacks from the well etc....but I don't think the septic system will be the "adventure" your well has been.

texasgun

Thanks, I think you are right about the septic everone thinks it will be the easy part. We will find out soon since its my next step estimates so far $3400.00. Am thinking about doing it myself have been reading up on it for awhile. One of my customers is a licensed installer and offered to answer questions and give guidance.
WEST TEXAS

glenn kangiser

Quote from: considerations on September 09, 2010, 08:42:39 PM
"Wonder what kind of problems a septic in solid sand will bring?"

I don't think you will have any....maybe keep it at least 100 or so feet away and downhill from the well  ;D

Anyway, around here, they make you truck in a whole mountain of sand (yes that sand you are worried about) and put all the septic piping and percolators and aerators ad nauseum in that sand.   The powers that be don't like our evergreen duff and multicolored clay for drain fields. No, Sir.  So we import sand.

Certainly you want to check the codes (sorry Glenn) in case they have a different opinion about setbacks from the well etc....but I don't think the septic system will be the "adventure" your well has been.

I can agree with the setbacks and safety aspects.... It's just the corporate good ol' boy system I have a problem with.  Geared for sales and taxes - you know --- we need to rid ourselves of parasites....  gimme another swaller o' that moonshine, considerations... [waiting]

Studies have shown that after a few feet of filtration away from the field - if not into a stream or seasonal stream or some other reason that the soil may not treat it properly,  the sewer water should be clean enough to drink or at least safe..... care for a glass?  The proper required separation should be adequate.