post and beam brackets/ bolts

Started by dug, July 16, 2010, 10:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

Anyone know of an online source for post and beam brackets and bolts? Not simpson, I'm looking for something decorative for some indoor beams  that are also structural.

Unable to locate anything local so far.

Jeff922

Simpson does have a line of nice looking "Architectural Products".  They have a black powdercoated finish and look nice.  I used the regular galvanized HUC hangers which look okay but even those are super expensive.  Also Simpson can custom make just about anything...for a price.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/apg/index.html
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

astidham

Hey dug, try here http://www.dhcsupplies.com/
I have ordered lots of simpson products here. my simpson 6x6 post base was 1/2 the price HD was selling it for here.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

Txcowrancher

not sure what you are looking for, I had a welder make these for my 8x8 cedar post and 8x12 cedar beams out of 1/4" steel  paid about 50 or 75 each

dug

Quotenot sure what you are looking for, I had a welder make these for my 8x8 cedar post and 8x12 cedar beams out of 1/4" steel  paid about 50 or 75 each

Yeah, something along those lines. Maybe a bit more rustic.
I will keep looking around here to see if someone can fabricate some for me.

Seems like someone must produce an alternative to Simpson, it can't be that hard to bend some steel and punch a few holes.
Grandpa Simpson must have been in bed with the Rockefeller's. Wish I could have bought some of that stock in the 40's!

John Raabe

A local welder can give you more options and often at prices that are no more than Simpson - at least for the big heavy stuff.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

DirtyLittleSecret

Agree completely.  Find yourself a local fab/welding shop or better yet hit the local community college and ask the welding instructor if he knows a student who wants his/her first project.  Due to a lack of Simpson brackets, I had to swing by my local steel yard and cut/weld my own.  $40 in steel, and got what I wanted.
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...