$ Surveyors $

Started by FrankInWI, September 14, 2007, 03:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankInWI

I put fill in to get above flood plain enough not to need flood insurance.  Went off a line shot from builder neighbors house already there.  This all new to me and nagging thought was "how do I know I am flood plain + 2 ft"?, and "How do I prove it"?    
One call to the ONLY Surveyor in the area tells me I do need it and it's a certificate he can provide after he verifies it.   He didn't name the cost yet, wanting to look at my site first.  The slab / cement guy said he can be $high$.  Darn....and no one else in the area.
Any other's have any experience with this?
god helps those who help them selves

MountainDon

No experience with flood plain stuff.

But here in the mountains I know that a relatively simple division of a 24 acre rectangle into 4 equal sized smaller rectangles cost, including pegging all the corners and supplying the drawing the county needed cost $1500. That also included shooting and plotting the access road. I have no idea if that's high, normal or whatever. I didn't pay it directly.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MelH

QuoteI put fill in to get above flood plain enough not to need flood insurance...

One call to the ONLY Surveyor in the area tells me I do need it and it's a certificate he can provide after he verifies it.  
Don't know what it's going to cost to get it completed, but the certificate he's referring to is the NFIP Elevation Certificate - http://www.fema.gov/pdf/nfip/elvcert.pdf.  It's a form the NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program) uses to determine the elevations of the structure, and how they compare to the Base Flood Elevation (the elevation it's going to flood to when it does flood) for your area.

FYI - elevating your structure wont get you out of the flood plain, but it WILL mitigate the risk, and lower your flood insurance premiums accordingly.  The higher you are above the flood waters, the safer you and your property are, and the cheaper your insurance will be.

glenn-k

Thanks for the info, MelH and welcome to the forum. :)