Direct vent Propane heaters

Started by new land owner, October 25, 2010, 07:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new land owner

Who out there is using them and what do you think.

I want to heat my 12 x 20 tool shed and was thinking about one.

MountainDon

We have a Housewarmer brand direct vent heater we bought from Northern Tool. We have the 18K unit, I believe there is a smaller one too. Ours has the optional 120 VAC air circulation blower. That is nice as it helps spread the heat and warms the place up a bit faster. It will also work without the blower being powered. We like it a lot. In the cabin it gets used sometimes on a chilly morning. We also use them together to warm up the cold cabin more quickly.

Much better than a vent free type, IMO. It's more than the concern over possible CO or low oxygen levels, but who needs/wants to breath the combustion products?

They use up some wall space and the heat output can be quite intense above the heater. IIRC, the instructions said to keep 36" vertical clearance above the unit top. 

Housewarmer is made by Empire, but doesn't have the 'frills' like the ability to use a remote thermostat. A little more basic in looks, and does not have the telescoping inlet/exhaust combo pipe. They must be cut to length when installing. But they are cheaper than Empire.

You may need a high altitude orifice depending on where you are. Housewarmer customer service sent me one for free. That goes for any brand of  propane or nat gas appliance.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.