RV toilet installed in conventional house?

Started by hnash53, October 05, 2010, 01:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hnash53

In my new (well, new to me) home, I have a small half bath that I am trying to convert into a 3/4 bath with shower.  To make more room, I am thinking of installing a nice porcelain RV toilet because it takes up such little space compared to conventional tank-type toilets.  Plus they use soooooooooooo much less water which is nice and smart these days.

Has anyone else done this?  And if so, is the water connection any different than with conventional toilets?

Are there other issues I need to consider before I do this?

Thanks for replies.

Hal

bayview

hnash53:

The RV toilets do use considerably less water . . .    But remember, that an RV toilet "flushes" directly into a black water holding tank.  Usually these tanks sit directly under the toilet.   Generally these tanks are about 40 gallons and dumped when almost full.    A chemical for odors is added . . .

I wonder if there would be enough water flow to remove all debris in the sewer line if a RV toilet is used.   I would guess multiple flushes would be necessary.   Or, risk a clogged sewer line.

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

It seems to me the water line connection on our RV toilet is something different from a usual home toilet, but that should not a big deal as I have purchased plumbing parts that fit the water line at my local hardware store.

The waste connection might be different though. I recall the RV toilet having a rubber sealing ring, not a wax one. I have no recollection of the size or whether or not it is the same as a home waste drain, but my (poor at times) memory thinks it was a smaller diameter pipe.  ???

One thought; our RV toilet sits directly over the black water waste tank. It gets away with meager water use in part because the solid waste dumps right into the tank. There is no need for water to wash the solid waste along a pipe. I don't know if all RV toilets are installed like that, but it could be a factor. ???   Yes bayview, there is an echo in here.   ;)

There is also a valve of some sort in the drain/waste path that isolates the toilet from the waste storage tank. To me, that is just another item that may need maintenance. But that may just be the way I see it.

Last thought; the RV toilet most likely does not meet whatever codes are in place for standard residential installation. That may only be a factor if there are codes to be observed at your location. But something that should be known before diving in.

There are excellent low volume toilets available for home use; I like the dual flush concept that is finally making inroads into this country. I don't know if any would meet your space saving requirements. Also, and not meaning to throw the code book at you every time, but there are minimum clearances around toilets. Even if there are no codes to deal with, is it possible that a too cramped situation could affect resale value? Just more to think about.

With that said we combined a shower pan with toilet space beside it in our space saving cabin bathroom. And that's not code either.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bayview

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

MountainDon

I just remembered that many years ago an old full time RV'er advised us that if we were in a campground with sewer hookup it was bestter to not leave the blackwater holding tank dump valve open and hooked up to the campground sewer. The reason he gave was that doing so causes a pile of solid waste to build in the tank, as there is not sufficienmt water to flush it out of the tank. He advised us to use the tank as a holding tank even when camped with a hookup. Then once in a while dump the tank at once. That permitted better emptying. I didn't think of that right off as our RV has never darkened the driveway to a commercial, full hookup, campground.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Shawn B

"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

hnash53

Thank you for the replies so far, and the thoughts are good ones to consider.

I, too, had thought of the volume of water necessary to move "things" along.  The toilet I am considering to buy would be placed "at the end of the line" so to speak.  That is, water/effluent from another bathroom with a conventional toiliet and shower and sink, the kitchen sink, and the clothes washer are all "upstream" from the proposed RV toilet, so flows from those sources could/would/should/maybe move the matter along and avoid the issues you all have raised.  What do you think?

Mountain Don, you mentioned a shower pan in your cabin bath.  What size/specs is it?  I'm having a hard time finding a small enough shower pan to fit.  Again, RV shower pans exist that would meet my space requirements, but code code code always pops up in these conversations.

Has anyone ever built their own shower base, perhaps out of redwood, cedar, teak, to be able to fit a shower in a small bathroom?

Thanks again, people, for your input.

Shawn B

You can frame any size shower pan you want with regular framing materials. Use cement board, rubber membrane and tile to finish.

pre-fab shower pans:

http://www.mustee.com/products/durabase/index.shtml
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

MountainDon

32 x 36 is the size of the one we bought. I thought I had more pictures of ours, but couldn't locate them  ???
Here's one and a link to where there are some more...

The pan came from Lowe's as a clearance item when they changed brands.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.msg117851#msg117851
http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.msg120709#msg120709

ScottA made his own pan up with poured concrete I believe.

bayview

Quote from: Shawn B on October 05, 2010, 04:43:10 PM
Maybe you could use one of these like Oljarhead:

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=7672.340

I think that's a composting toilet with its own storage tank.

/.   

MountainDon

It is a composting Sun-Mar with remote composter.

---echo-----

Shawn B

oops, I was thinking this was for the Wyoming house  d* d* d*

bayview

A perfect solution!    Many of the members of this forum use solar power with batteries . . .    Perfect for off grid applications!   

Thanks for your reply . . .

/.

UK4X4

That marine toilet seems quite reasonable for what it does, how is your system laid out ?

do you have a remote -hole in the ground or is it connected to a septic system or pump out tank ?

Further thoughts...........my land is prohibited from having septic and leach field, there is a "micro sewage system " but will cost 5,000 just to hook into it.

So for a holding tank, how large do you need for a 4-6 week occupied time period for 4 people as an average.

Anyone have any ideas on average daily waste water produced ?

If biodegradable soap is used, can the grey water be sperated and disposed of in a flower bed or similar ?

I thinki've spent as much time looking at bogs as I have the building design !