Roof cost

Started by dogneck, September 16, 2008, 02:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogneck

I'm running out of time.  did everything so far all by myself.    I'm thinking of having someone put the roof joists on the shed roof of my 14x24 addition.   Then sheathing with 1/2 osb.     I'll price a metal roof separately.     Should I get a price on this?  or is the soffit work difficult or pricy?   

glenn kangiser

Depends as PEG would say, on whether you have more time or money. 

You might get a quote ahead of time if you are farming it out but then again if you get a quote it may cost more than an honest man giving you a fair hourly rate as protection has to be built in.  You will know your price but it may be more --- or less. ::)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

We got estimates that ranged from $800, from a roofer with more work than he could handle immediately, down to $250 from a guy who had no work and was hungry, and everywhere between. We were familiar with the first guys work, he did our house and I had seen two examples of the $250 guys work. We went cheap and gave him an extra $30.

The main thing hard about the soffits, to me, is that they are overhead at an angle.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jb52761

I know some folks here contact the local community college when things like this come up, and offer to hire a few construction students to knock out a reasonably small project. They'll be glad for the cash, and the experience is invaluable to them as students-in-training. I'm sure you would worry about the quality of work, but folks I know were pleased with the results. My mother had them repair and paint her deck two years in a row. One of the students was from Germany....jb