Rustic Furniture and Built-ins, Rails, etc

Started by glenn kangiser, January 16, 2006, 03:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

Dustin said in another post:
QuoteYou can also make some cool rustic furniture out of them.  Google "making rustic furniture". You basically take an industrial-size pencil sharpener and chuck it into your drill to make tenons.....  

I think this is a great topic for accessories for your home and or cabin.

I have seen the tenon makers - the pencil sharpener type take a pretty healthy drill and quit a bit of money.  I am working on a cheap easy way to do this - I have the idea - haven't tried it yet - for making rails for stairs - chairs - benches etc from limbs or other material.  If successful I'll post the method and pix here.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dustin

I also saw at Rockler (www.rockler.com) an alternative version to the pencil sharpener type that uses a router, router table, and a jig that supposedly does the same thing faster and easier. It looks a bit cheaper too. (provided you've already got a router and a router table) Go to the site and search for "Rockler Log Tenon Maker".  

glenn-k

The one I am considering making would use the router also, but would have a pivot pin to rotate the branch or log on - you would predrill a 1/4 hole in the end of the log - it would be adjustable to make any size tenon and do it easily.