Madoff gets 150 years

Started by peternap, June 29, 2009, 10:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Windpower

may he live that long as the pass around bitch in Leavenworth
Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Squirl

Did anyone believe him when he says he was the only one that knew?

ScottA

I think the only reason he confessed was to keep from being killed.

Windpower

Quote from: Squirl on June 29, 2009, 11:31:42 AM
Did anyone believe him when he says he was the only one that knew?

no

Phssthpok

Bah!

His only crime was trying to muscle in on the FedGov's turf.

rwanders

:)  Windpower knows everything (about conspiracies anyway) so he must have known about this one---unless, of course, other evil conspirators in league with shadowy operatives controlled by the Club of Rome and a local cell of Freemasons in league with unnamed evil corporations have managed to hide this conspiracy even from him.  ???    
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Windpower

"The severity of Madoff's sentence changes his options. A lighter sentence might have allowed Madoff's team to negotiate his placement from medium security to low, based mostly on his age and notoriety, says Ellis; a 150-year sentence means he will now have to lobby to go from high security to medium. Medium security facilities look similar to low-security institutions, but the inmates are much more likely to be inside for violent crimes. If Madoff gets medium security, says Webster, "He will be assaulted, there's no doubt about that." It's that much of a certainty? "God, yes. Oh, God, yes."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/204491/page/2

muldoon

I saw this one today,
a former white collar criminal talking about what he has in store. 

http://amfix.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06/30/ex-con-bernie-wont-be-too-popular-behind-bars/

Squirl

Levine knows his sentencing guideline OK, but not great.  The BOP decides the incarceration establishment, sometimes taking a judges recommendation into consideration.  You can get 15% off your time for good behavior if you are sentenced to more than a year, and you are eligible to get a halfway house for the remaining 10%.  So he might only serve 112 years in prison.  He could be eligible for early release due to health reasons if the prosecutor agrees.  Fat chance.

Other notes on the article. There are very few rapists in federal prison.  Rape is usually a state crime.  As far as the medium security prison thing, I think he is right for the wrong reason.  It is the sentence, not the dollars, that will put him in medium to maximum security.  The federal prison system is way over crowded.  There is little room at camps and minimum security these days and the maximum sentence I see for those people 12-24 months.

Madoff will probably have to be in a segregated population.  This may put him in a maximum security prison.  He didn't have a single character witness at his sentencing.  I don't think he has to worry about visitors.

Levine is full of crap on a few things though.  First to say that top white collar crime lawyers that are paid millions of dollars don't know the system after the judge hits the gavel is garbage.  I know madoff's attorney and many others.  I don't believe for a second a single one of them would have called Levine.