Front porch connection to house

Started by grover, July 05, 2014, 11:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grover

I'm not a builder, just a guy trying to build.  What I'm trying to figure out now is the corner detail where the front porch/deck connects to the house.  It's a full length front porch that will be built as a covered deck.  I'm using lap siding with corner trim boards.  Do I put both front and side corner trim boards on and my ledger board just butted up to the front side trim board or does my ledger board go all the way to the corner and my front trim board come down and get cut off at deck level?

It may be better to just ask for pics you have of the detail in that area.

MushCreek

I used a detail known as a 'water table' to separate the upper part of my house from the foundation. You can (barely) see it in the lower right. It consists of a 1X6, capped with a 1X2 at a 10 degree angle. It makes a good transition, and keeps water running down the wall off of the top of the foundation. My front porch and rear deck are each 6" below the main floor, so the water table sits on top of them. No ledger on my front porch, as it is concrete, but in the back, the deck ledger runs all the way to the corner, with the water table on top of the decking.

If the porch is going to run all the way to the edge of the house, the ledger should, too. The corner trim would have to stop there (on the front). On the side, the trim could run on down.

Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.