Woodstove Clearance to wall

Started by cbc58, July 10, 2024, 12:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

What is the minimum acceptable clearance to a combustible wall for a wood stove (and pipe) if you put up a metal panel with spacers to protect it?  Trying to shoe-horn in a wood stove/cast iron fireplace in a small building design and have read mixed info online.  Figure folks here would know...

jonathco

Hi there, ideally, your stove manufacturer lists this info, as it can vary by stove.

MountainDon

A 1" minimum air space between a sheet metal shield and the combustible material can reduce the overall clearance distance by 66%. There must be a minimum 1" air space along the bottom edge of the shield and the vent space must be open at the top to allow free movement of air. I used that method to reduce the clearance on the wood burner in our gazebo. I also checked the temperature of the wood behind the shield. I forget the numbers but the wood wall behind the shield was at a very safe temperature.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

cbc58

Thank you Mt. Don.  That is what I read, 66% reduction, but was unclear on the actual number arrived at.  Does that mean you can go from 18" down to 6.5" from the metal plate ?  

I was thinking of putting a medium sized double-door wood stove on a 3 season porch - mostly for the ambiance of a fireplace - but also to take the chill off during the colder months.  Could I ask how you vent your wood burner and maybe what make/model you are using?  Does the pipe go out the side and up -- or straight up through the roof ?  Tks.

MountainDon

The wood burner in our gazebo was not a stove, but was a chiminea. THIS LINK will take you to the CountryPlans page of my cabin topic. There are images there to illustrate what a chiminea is and the wall treatment as well as the chimney.

Our chiminea was last aluminum. It was not meant to be connected to a chimney of any kind. They are meant to be used as a free-standing fireplace. However, I found that a class A chimney adapter could be cemented into the chimney top of the chiminea. That allowed me to connect 6" single-wall black chimney pipe and then transition to an insulated chimney through the roof. It worked well for us for many years.

The only reason I am using the past tense is that the Cerro Pelado wildfire of 2022 burned the gazebo down along with its contents. The aluminum chiminea melted down and ran into a puddle on the ground. The puddle was an interesting shape, not just a roundish puddle. It now hangs on the fence wall at home in the suburbs. The cabin survived untouched but the sheds on the other end of the cabin also burned. On the three acres around the cabin we have 87 surviving ponderosa pines, all some 65+ feet tall.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Note that if the images show with the photobucket imprint you can click on the image to open an unoscured image. At least that works for me on the PC. My android phone displays an unobscured image.but tapping it dors nothing. But a long touch allows some actions.

cbc58