Looking for Land > Land Stories

New guy here, new property story

(1/3) > >>

A.O.:
So I just found this place, lots of good stuff although doesn't seem like a bunch of recent traffic. Thought I'd introduce myself (Scott) and show off my recent property (3 yrs) purchase.

First off we were stuck in colorado for 7 long years and been trying to move for several years. Hard to do sometimes cause you have to at least a little follow the money to be able to move!

So anyway, we moved to South Carolina, bought an old 1954 house on 102 acres from the original owner! How many one owner homes that old can you find?? Ok, I lied a bit, actually the original owner died about 8 months before we bought it so we bought it from his son... close enough I think! ;D

The property was almost completely wooded when we bought it, mostly a Loblolly pine forest planted in 1984 after hurricane Hugo trashed the place. Part of the reason we wanted this parcel is its water, several springs on the property along with 2 decent ponds, one about 3 ac the other a bit over 1 ac. The property is also bordered on one side by a small river.

One of the ponds..

The house was not in all that great shape, but that's how I like em.. big property with a house I can fix up. Tore part of the house down due to it being too far gone, and added a new addition in its place. Still working on re-doing a lot of the old part of the house.

Here is the house we bought

And how it looks now.. still a work in progress...

I had about 7 acres logged off to give me a field for food plots and such to attract some of the native wildlife and deer hunting has been slowly improving.

Debating getting a small sawmill right now as I have probably a lifetims supply of tall straight saw timber..

And there's my story.

Adam Roby:
Welcome to the forum Scott! 

Property sounds amazing, especially with those ponds.  Are they "swimmable"? What I wouldn't give for that much land... I am like you, don't care so much about the house as I do the land.  A house can always be built / fixed up, but the land is the land. 

Your story seems more like a quick summary that a story.  Do you have any of the building pictures, layouts... problems faced, etc.?  we love pictures here, if you can find a reliable server to store them on.

As far as traffic, it comes in spurts.  Spring and summer is much more active because of us northern folk... building often takes a hiatus until the snow melts enough to continue.  But there is still some traffic all year round.

A.O.:

--- Quote from: Adam Roby on January 08, 2018, 02:47:31 PM ---Welcome to the forum Scott! 

Property sounds amazing, especially with those ponds.  Are they "swimmable"? What I wouldn't give for that much land... I am like you, don't care so much about the house as I do the land.  A house can always be built / fixed up, but the land is the land. 

Your story seems more like a quick summary that a story.  Do you have any of the building pictures, layouts... problems faced, etc.?  we love pictures here, if you can find a reliable server to store them on.

As far as traffic, it comes in spurts.  Spring and summer is much more active because of us northern folk... building often takes a hiatus until the snow melts enough to continue.  But there is still some traffic all year round.

--- End quote ---

Well you could swim in the ponds, but...

And yes its more of a quick summary, its a nonstop project. Don't really have any of the layouts, changing the house was just done on paper by me, and by the time I was done the plans were pretty messy. Biggest problem I had was finding people to do different jobs. The original builder was a nightmare! Finally fired him and got another guy to finish up. This is the first rebuild I've done where I've hired on a builder, done the rest myself but I'm getting to old anymore to do it all myself.

NathanS:
Looks and sounds like a beautiful piece of land. I like the new brick and changing the roof line on the front makes a big improvement.

A.O.:

--- Quote from: NathanS on January 09, 2018, 01:09:37 PM ---Looks and sounds like a beautiful piece of land. I like the new brick and changing the roof line on the front makes a big improvement.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, yeah the addition on the right side was originally a garage or carport closed in, didn't fit the rest of the building. Been wanting a brick house for years so we finally went for it. AND it made it look like there wasn't an addition added.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version