Long time no post........Septic Approval.

Started by StinkerBell, March 30, 2007, 02:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Good hint - to allow any solids in the effluent to settle to the bottom rather than pumping them up the hill to clog your field.  I designed and built one similar to this for a customer about a year ago.  Really didn't have to do anything but wrestle it out verbally with the county inspector.  We have good env health dept inspectors here too.  I try to be nice first and see if that works.  Many times it does. :)

NetHog

Maybe I should buy the staff a round of coffee next time I'm up there :)

The county engineer was really good at explaining the why's for everything. Helped me understand that it wasn't just a rule I had to follow, but the reason behind the rule.

For example, regarding the floats, as I said above, he asked me to change the design where I had the "override-on" and "alarm" wired together. He explained the scenario where, e.g. toilet is leaking, filling up septic tank through to pump chamber, forces override on, causing everything to pump up to drain field, floods drain field, burns out motor, and then floods down-field...

I was... yeah... good point.

Now the same scenario without override-on isn't pretty, but I still have a usable drain field after it.

StinkerBell

:-/ The bad thing about telling Hog about this BB, is that now I can not take credit for all his hard work.

And Yes, one can see me standing in the middle of the property next to a pole blow drying my hair :P

NetHog

Ok, here's the "detail" plan of the septic system, to scale excluding callouts. Yeah, it's rough. I did this in Punch 3D's 'detail' view as a makeshift drawing program. Click to zoom.

Here's the wiring callout, which I included in the manual.

In addition to these, we submitted a plot plan showing location of the septic system in relation to whole property, and the O&M manual.

NetHog

For historical reference (= fun), here's when Stink was digging the hole ready for perc testing.

Like the boulders?

glenn-k

Great job on the plans Hog- pretty detailed compared to what we have to do.  Actually our health department designs the system - just gives us a paper with the specs to build to.

...and great hoeing, Stink -- did you dig the whole system or did you two fight over the hoe? :-?

Bad thing about getting the spouse on here is that nothing is sacred anymore -- except I do have veto power.  "I'm the decider." ;D

NetHog

QuoteGreat job on the plans Hog- pretty detailed compared to what we have to do.  Actually our health department designs the system - just gives us a paper with the specs to build to.

...and great hoeing, Stink -- did you dig the whole system or did you two fight over the hoe? :-?

Bad thing about getting the spouse on here is that nothing is sacred anymore -- except I do have veto power.  "I'm the decider." ;D
Well, some of that is probably overkill, but if my head's in the book, then I may as well capture the information for when I build it  ;)

I have no chance getting on the Kubota. But then, how many people can claim to have a wife who can dig a trench like this? ...

glenn-k

That is a good straight hoe job -- harder than it looks especially with the rocks. :)