Main Floor Joist. To hang or Not to hang

Started by jcsforager, February 10, 2007, 11:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcsforager

I'm wondering for the 20x30 plan using 2x12 Joists to span the 20ft between beams on a post and pier foundation if there is any disadvantage/advantage to using hangers for the joists between the beams vs what the plans show placing the joists on top of the beam?

Thanks,
John

peg_688

The only advantage to hanging the joist is for head room under the beam. Hanging is more labor , material (hangers &nails ) , and they tend to want to SQUEEEEEEKKKKK !

So if you can avoid the hangers it almost always is better , can't think of one reason to hang other than the headroom issue.

jcsforager

Thanks, Squeeking is not what I'm after! The reason I'm asking is I have a friend doing construction in Seattle who just took down a 20x30 structure that had old growth doug fir 2x12's for floor joists. He special ordered new Joist Hangers for the project, spending about $400 due to the fact they are a bit bigger than what is for sale at Depot. Once he got the hangers the contracter decided to use built up boards and get rid of the 2x12's. So this is where he knew I needed 2x12's. He has to recoup his cost on the hangers and wants to sell all these to me for $400. I may just buy the wood and follow the floorplan and put the 2x12's on top of the main floor beam, either way I'm still saving a bit of money and using wood I can't buy any more. Just figuring since I get the hangers with the wood if there was some benefit in using them.

peg_688

Those 2x12's if they are old , really old say , 50 years or more old , could be well worth the $400.00 alone ! They could be old / early second growth D. Fir. It seems you'd be looking at about 40 /10" or so 2x12's that would be about $.50a B/F for those joist using all round numbers , 400 L/F of 2x12 = 800 B/F  lumber. $400.00  for the lot = .50 a B/F.

If they are stable / not full of old nails / not split of heck and back, it may be a good deal you could trade / use lumber as trim / furinture , that is if you have milling capabilties , tablesaw / planer/ jointer etc, or just flip the materials / yard sale it.  :-/