584 square foot Charleston Single House

Started by Robert_Flowers, January 27, 2008, 02:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert_Flowers

Found this surfing it's in Onancock, Virginia.

http://www.buildinghomegarden.com

Robert

ED: repaired photo link - MD

StinkerBell

I wish the article offered a floor plan, to get a better idea.

Very cool.

StinkerBell

John Raabe

Very cute little house.  :D Would feel spacious for one person - cozy for two.

Main Floor

Upper Floor
None of us are as smart as all of us.

StinkerBell

Mr John,

How long do you think a little house like that would take a married couple to build? A married couple who likes each other.....

John Raabe

Boy, it would be hard to predict a building time line for any specific project. Personal building and planning skills, tools, and energy are the biggest factors in a time line. But this would be pretty straightforward. I would perhaps guess somewhere between 6 weeks to 6 months.

You can buy kit stairs of 5' diameter (check with local codes). If you made the stair alcove just a bit deeper you could do the U-shaped stair that is used in the Universal cottage (this is much easier for getting things up and down). But I guess you could get the bed and furniture up there by hoisting it up onto the balcony and in through the french doors. :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

StinkerBell

Could you just guesstimate....Pretty Please.

glenn kangiser

I'd say, too many unknowns -some would never be able to complete it and..a married couple who like each other --- depends on how much time is spent liking each other and how much working. :)

Sassy and I like each other...most of the time...when I'm not busy being arrogant, and a lot of that time is spent sitting in chairs next to each other emailing messages and articles back and forth rather than working on the house. ;D

If all the time was spent building I'd say 3 months if they both had decent skills and were motivated, with painting and details to work out later.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

Three Months! Not sure I like my hubby enough.......

MountainDon

The amount of time required... well it Depends. You're looking at a whole lot of variables.

Starting with the work crew... how well versed are you&DH, with the details of construction? How much time is going to spent figuring out how to do something while on site? Lots of proper planning and excellent drawings so you can see how things will go together before hand can speed up your work flow. It's best to work through the process before laying a hand on the lumber.

There's the logistics of getting the needed materials to the site at the required time. Example: windows will likely need to be ordered. That's usually 2 weeks, IF nothing goes wrong. Is your choice of flooring a stock item, or a special order? Ditto, the roofing.

Is the weather likely to cooperate?

Will you be hiring out some of the work? Plumbing, electrical...??? Sometimes getting the subs there when you want them doesn't work out.

Will you be able to work full time at the construction, or evenings and weekends only. If you can do that and all else goes well you could get it done in three months if all goes well. I'm planning a 14 x 26 single floor cabin. I hope to get started at the end of May and hope to be completed by August. We (K and I) will have nothing else we need to do during that time. I have spent the last year building it in my head. And changing it I might add.  ::)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

At this point we do not need to hire anyone. My biggest issue is foundation, Frame and Roof....everything else can be done at a leisure pace.