Beam and joist layout...

Started by Beavers, May 04, 2009, 09:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavers

Did a quick search and couldn't find any info on this.

I'm building the 16x28 and would like to add either a 12x16 or 16x16 onto the side of it.  I'm not sure how I need to layout my piers, beams, and joists for this.  Can I share the beam of the 16x28 and either overlap the joist or use hangers on the rim joist for the addition?   Would I be pushing my piers and footings to the limit with the extra weight doing it this way?  My soil is a sandy clay (2000 psi as far as I can tell) I'm using 2'x2' footings with 12" steel reinforced concrete piers, and 6"x12" beams.

Would I be better off running another row of piers perpendicular to the ones for the 16x28?  Or would a layout like this work?

devildog

beavers, Im sorry I dont have an answer for you. but Im wanting to do almost the exact same thing as you and looking forward to the answer youll get.

im curious to know though if your going to attach the16x16 with a shed or gable roofand what height walls your going with.
im wanting to do 12' walls on16x28 w/ gable and 8' on 16x16 w/shed roof mainly because it seems easier. for the foundation using 8x8 posts. ive also thought more about going w/12x16 to get abetter pitch on roof.
anyway, good luck on yours,  I'll be watchingyour prject w/ great interest
                           Darrell

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Beavers

devildog,

I'm also planning on 12' walls to get more headroom in the loft.  I was also planning on doing a gable roof on the 16x16 so I can also have a usable loft there. 

Good luck on your project too!  I think I'll be using wood posts for the 16x16, I'm already sick of concrete work and I'm not even halfway done with my foundation for the 16x28. 

I'll have to keep an eye on your builder thread...might be able to steal some good ideas from you.  ;D

John Raabe

I would suggest treating the 16'x16' addition as an independent foundation. Turn the beams 90ยบ and run the joists the other way. That will take the double loading off the shared beam and piers.

Then the beams are in the right position to support a gable roof if that is your choice.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Don_P

Check costs, a strip footing with a 16' long block wall on it with a sill and no girder might be simpler  ???.

Beavers

Thanks John,

Never even thought of needing the beams in the right postition for the roof.  d*

Do I need to do anything special to tie the two 16 foot beams into the side of the 28' one? 

Don,

Thanks for the suggestion, but my piers are almost 4' tall above grade, so I would need to build a 8' wall.   The extra rebar, concrete, blocks, and grout would really blow my budget.  I would also have rent an excavator agaiin to do the walls.  I can borrow a tractor mounted auger to bore the holes for a wooden pier foundation.  Plus I've discovered I'm really slow at concrete work, so I'm hoping that wood piers will speed things up a little. 

John Raabe

For tying the beams together use a metal bracket or a wooden brace with screws both ways like is done at the corner of a table
None of us are as smart as all of us.