Shed roof flashing question

Started by Ignavus, September 07, 2009, 07:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignavus

Hello,
I am looking at building a large sleepout, approximately 20x14. It is to be used as general accommodation until we can afford to build our main house. I had planned to use a shed style roof (ie: a single plane), however I am not sure how to do the flashing on the leading (high) end.

My issue is, if rain comes down the front face, then it will tend to run down the underside of the rafter, and when it hits the wall framing, it will want to get in behind the flashing. I've put in a simple diagram of what I mean below.

Is there some product I've missed, or some way of overlapping things such that this doesn't happen?

Thanks,
Andre

ScottA

Put a drip edge on the facia. Thats a piece of flat metal unter the facia board that extends about an inch below the facia. Water will drip off this surface rather than run down the sofit.

Redoverfarm

Andre with a drip edge at the top of the rafter and a piece of coil stock tucked up under it's edge and allowed to protrude 3/4-1" below the soffit any water running down that face will drop.  

You mentioned a shed roof but your diagram does not coinicide with a shed roof. Unless I am missing something in the translation.  As for weather proofing the shed roof you would use a "L" shaped flashing which the upper portion is behind your wall covering and the lower leg is over your roofing material.  Your house wrap should overlap the portion of the upper flashing.  If any water would find it's way down the exterior wall it would be turned by your house wrap and then again turned out onto the roof by the flashing.   You could also use a window seal material (ice guard type product) over the top leg affixed to your sheeting and then house wrap.  

Maybe this will help. Look at the General Flashing ( Roof to wall) in the following

http://www.nuraymetals.com/pr/flashing/index.html#anchor1369613

If you are going to have a shed roof meeting the wall of the main portion of the house you should consider a venting system for that shed extension.  There is some commercial vents available that do just that.  I could probably find the type later if you haven't.

Redoverfarm

In reply to my original here is the product that I was trying to find concerning the venting of the shed roof to wall.

http://www.roof-2-wall.com/