Don's Fun Utah Weekend!!

Started by MountainDon, May 13, 2008, 01:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Don.. do you remove the front sway bar when you get onsite, then re-attach when you are ready to highway home?

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Here's a picture. This is an after market replacement link that is easily disconnected. It's adjustable length for best fit and made for differing amounts of lift. You pull the bottom lock pin and slide the rubber bushed arm off the lower stud that is affixed to the axle. Then rotate and tie it up with that piece of mechanics wire.  After the trsil it's a simple reversal of the procedure. Except that it's not quite so simple... usually you need to have another push the body up and down, or if alone resort to driving onto a rock or something, jacking, hammers...... Sometimes I get rel lucky, sometimes not.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Mechanics wire = bailing wire ???

Just giving you a bad time, Don.  It is one of my favorite tools.

Since I used to be (am?) a Dodge mechanic I am aware that the word "Mechanics" wire was invented to take the stigma away from the word "Baling" wire which some may consider to be a less than professional fix.

Dang -- I just looked at the picture and it's still hanging there.  Good show, Don. ;D
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Quote from: glenn kangiser on May 14, 2008, 10:52:18 AM
Mechanics wire = bailing wire ???
Just giving you a bad time, Don.  It is one of my favorite tools.

Yes, I know.   ;D ;D
I use a custom double twisted length of baling/mechanics wire, for extra durability.  :D  One end is permanently mounted to a small eyebolt through the fender above the midpoint of the sway bar end. I twisted it myself; 3 twists to the inch.

Longer front springs, $320 a pair;
Longer front shocks, $160 a pair;
Sway bar disconnects, $80 a pair;
Baling wire, priceless

Baling wire, duct tape, 3 lb. short handled sledge hammer; indispensable tools.   :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

Don I'm jealous. Looks like loads of fun.

MountainDon

Thanks Scott. It is loads of fun!

MountainDon

My memory is probably going... several times I thought that I should include the 'why' as to why all these trails exist. I don't think I did.

These, and many many other, trails date from the 1950's when Utah and the surrounding 'four corners' area of NM, AZ & CO, were crawling with uranium explorers. There were over 800 mines in the Colorado Plateau area.

glenn kangiser

Now that is cool, Don.  Got Radiation? hmm

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Maybe that's why I don't remember whatever it is I forgot!....   ???

In places there is low grade uranium ore laying about.

glenn kangiser

...and all of it in the tunnels in the mountains in NM.