Rock Rant

Started by NM_Shooter, April 19, 2008, 03:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I think that gravel sales are going the way of firewood sales. You had better measure what you get.

I just purchased 4 yards today from a rock yard in Rio Rancho, NM, a community right next to where I live. I had them load 2 yard in at a time, and made two trips. Both looked a bit light. On the second load I measured... 6" deep by 6'3" X 10'6" was the load I received. That works out to just under 40 cubic feet. A yard is 3X3X3, which is 27 cubic feet. Two yards is 54.

My load was running about 25% under.

When I called to ask, they said that the sell by the yard, but load by weight. I didn't understand this, as the load that I received was very, very dry.

This sounds unethical and possibly a bit illegal. They did say to come by and they would give me a free yard on my next load.

mark your hauling container so that it is easy to measure. This could have been an honest mistake, but it seems like their system is set up to favor them.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

That's not RRStone, is it?

I've bought yards upon yards, tons upon tons of assorted stone from them. Some delivered, some I hauled myself. I can say that on the stuff  I hauled myself it's been easy to check on the measure (4x8ft trailer x 18 inch tall sides). Those have been over the amount paid for.   :-\
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

The type of rock can affect the weight of the load more than anything except for an in-accurate scales.

Many batch plants weigh the rock --appx 1 1/2 tons per yard. 

If paying for volume, then measuring the cubic footage is the only accurate way. 
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

Yup RR Stone. 

I'll be making it easy for them in the future.  I am going to mark a line on my trailer for a 2yd load.  It did seem that the load of gravel that they sold me had a lot of dust in it, which would have contributed to the weight.  But I still contend that if they sell by the yard, they should measure by the yard. 

I found a place on Craigslist that has some reclaimed gravel for $16 a yard.  After I get this driveway in, I'll probably purchase a bunch from him to hold the sand on my property down.  It's been a crazy windy spring.

BiggKidd

Yep rock has gone nuts. Here by the ton its gone up almost 50%. Where a truck full (4 tons) last year cost me around $30 this year the same 4 ton is around $50. There are two quarries here I wont go to any more because of short loads, plus there prices are to high.

Larry
A hard life only makes you stronger.

Larry

peternap

Quote from: BiggKidd on April 20, 2008, 10:55:32 AM
Yep rock has gone nuts. Here by the ton its gone up almost 50%. Where a truck full (4 tons) last year cost me around $30 this year the same 4 ton is around $50. There are two quarries here I wont go to any more because of short loads, plus there prices are to high.

Larry

You forgot ...stupid drivers! ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

mvk

I got into something like this buying masonery sand. They told me so many sheetrock buckets was so much of a cubic yard. Well you can measure a sheetrock bucket and I told them they wern't right. Well we got into a argument. I said look I don't care what you charge me just don't tell me I am getting this when I know I'm not. The guy got really P.O.ed and told me to get off his property. I said look you can measure this it's like telling me I'm getting a cup of something but you are giving me it in a 3/4 cup container.  Just sell me a sheetrock bucket for what ever you want. I ended up driving about a half hour to get some washed sand because he wouldn't sell to me.  Hurt myself on that one.
Mike

Redoverfarm

Stone in this area is dependent on the size but generally delivered it is $10-14 a ton.  With the present fuel prices it is usually 1/2 of the cost in stone and the other in fuel/delivery fees (40 miles from quarry).  I more often get 18-20 ton at a time and have gotten probably 80 ton for the cabin project so far.  The house I lost count a long time ago for the bridge, road, foundation and ete. etc. etc.

As for sand it is sold by the ton as well.  Now it is $48 a ton. Just a hint when buying sand do so in dry weather or at least 3-4 days following a rain.  The weight of wet sand can effect the true amount of sand that you get. Now that you mentioned it I will have to pu another ton to finish the stone work.  I have went through about 4 tons already with the foundation block, fireplace flue and chinking. 

I think the only way to purchase stone or sand is by weight.  The weigh ticket is proof that you are actually getting what you pay for.

NM_Shooter

Quote from: Redoverfarm on April 20, 2008, 09:02:08 PM

I think the only way to purchase stone or sand is by weight.  The weigh ticket is proof that you are actually getting what you pay for.

Just as long as they charge me by weight and load it by weight.

Although I would rather buy it by volume.  As you pointed out, it can weigh more or less, depending on moisture content.  And I don't use aggregate by weight, I use it by volume. 

I went out to my trailer tonight and masked a painted a 2yard line on the side boards.  Should be an interesting day at the gravel yard tomorrow. 

MountainDon

I haven't bought any sand/gravel/stone for a couple years. I've picked up more than my share of it. Knowing the dimensions of the trailer I never felt I was shorted. And in all those trips the guys in the yard simply used one of the front end loaders to scoop and dump into the trailer.

I've not noticed a scale there, but there could be one. Ask the guys in the yard if they have a scale or what they use it for. My thoughts are that the person on the phone latched on to a phony excuse when you questioned the delivery amount.  ??? 

I think they might have a scale someplace so they can weigh their big trucks to keep them under max GVW for road purposes.  ??? ???
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

They have a scale integrated into the front loader so they know how much weight they have in the bucket.  I was told that they calibrate it every morning. 

I don't know how they compensate their aggregate for dust and moisture though.  I don't think it can be done.