how much overhang for sheathing a roof....

Started by Kris, October 30, 2011, 11:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

i am building a 18 x 26 garage.....and was wondering how much overhang i should have off the roof truss ...i was thinking enough to cover the 2x4 that will connect all the truss bottoms...or should it be flush with the bottom of the truss..?....

anyone wanna give me there 2cents..feel free.......

kris

Redoverfarm

Quote from: Kris on October 30, 2011, 11:19:56 PM
i am building a 18 x 26 garage.....and was wondering how much overhang i should have off the roof truss ...i was thinking enough to cover the 2x4 that will connect all the truss bottoms...or should it be flush with the bottom of the truss..?....

anyone wanna give me there 2cents..feel free.......

kris

Not real sure what you are calling the 2X4 but I am assuming you mean a facia board.  The overhang is multiple meaning that the sheeting you would overhang some 3/4-1" followed by a drip edge then if using shingles  another 1".  If using metal w/o drip another 3/4-1" past the wood sheeting.  You would want to keep your completed overhang close to 1-1/2" if using gutter. Anything more and the water will overshoot the guttering.

rick91351

I second what 'Red' said.  About the drip edge though not required by code that I can find.  Lots of shingle manufactures suggest using a drip edge where ever you do trim your sheeting to.  Drip edge is pretty dog gone cheap and extends the life of your sheeting and your shingles.  Not to mention it gives a  more well finished appearance.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Kris