Mods involved to go 24x36

Started by TomT, January 29, 2016, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomT

Retirement soon becoming reality...yehaaaa! :)
I so love many of the build here - so sweet to see what you all have done!
We are sadly thinking we'll need to both stretch and widen the standard plans to 24' x 36' - 1 1/2 story.
This stated - are we also making major modifications that really add up in cost? The thought is to live in it permanently and be able to sell the 3400 sf beast we have. What always tosses me off here is the fact all the plans seem to be based on the 20 x 30 and maybe going longer but not to many change the 20' - so I am assuming there is a reason for that.
If these mods would increase cost a great deal we might be changing the whole thought process I guess.

Thoughts - advice and words of wisdom appreciated. ;)

Stein

Basically the whole roof construction would have to change from the way the plans are drawn.  Length is no issue, make it 60 feet if you like.  If you really want 24 foot, and I did, mainly to have two BR on the main floor you are realistically looking at other plan options.  I bought plans for http://www.sheldondesigns.com/cabins/BalsamRidgeC1612.htm which is drawn as a 24 x 36.  Normally I wouldn't post another plan on this site but the site doesn't offer a competitive plan to what you wanted to buy.  I think the plans are $121 when you dig into the site, not the $387 on the link.  Look around on that site.

MountainDon

Not just the roof, but floors and ceilings too need redesign.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.