4x8 t&g advantech flooring 7/8

Started by astidham, January 25, 2014, 07:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

I special ordered 7/8 advantech flooring for my subfloor over my garage which is 20 foot wide.
The flooring is only 47.5 inches wide like all t&g I have ever used, but my width of the floor leaves a 2 .5 inch gap on one side...
Anyone have a solution for this?
It took forever to get this material since I had to special order it, and I only have 19 sheets
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

flyingvan

I swear, I'm going to market 1.5" t&g filler strips people can put every 3 courses to solve this.  It sure is a problem that comes up frequently
Find what you love and let it kill you.

astidham

Quote from: flyingvan on January 25, 2014, 09:07:05 PM
I swear, I'm going to market 1.5" t&g filler strips people can put every 3 courses to solve this.  It sure is a problem that comes up frequently
Lol....
I will be your first customer...
I need it by 7am tomorrow.
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

If you want T&G joints all across the width the solution is to rip a couple feet off the panels for one side, work across the width, then rip another set of panels to complete the other side. That is what I'd do if there was wall framing sitting on top of the sub flooring for certain. If this is just infill floor sheathing between wall framing and rafters that are already up then you should be able to finish off with a strip laid in with few or no issues. Or so it seems to me.

The thing that decides is whether or not the outer edges have a tie in to the wall structure or not. If a wall frame is placed onto top of the edge subfloor you want to have a 2 foot panel width to help tie wall and floor diaphragm together. I'm not sure how the whole thing is framed / built off hand.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

Thanks Don,
It will go on this

I considered blocking one side between the floor trusses with a 2x4 flatwise against the let it truss brace at the top of the truss to be able to connect the short edge of the sheathing to the outer wall and use a filler strip to fill the gap.
Im not sure that would tie the floor together well enough though.
— Henry Ford

Don_P

In common practice most carpenters rip a thin filler strip at the end. As Mt Don pointed out this doesn't create the tie or diaphragm that is supposed to be happening there though. The APA says no less than a 16" wide strip.  One way would be to run a row of sheathing, then a 1x4 with blocking in every bay  that edges can be screwed to then remove tongue from the next row and continue across the floor  :P. another is to run straps (those cst simpson multi hole jobs) up and over the ends of the trusses, over the let in 2x4 and across the top of the trusses, then the fill the missing strip of sheathing. This is sort of a halfway approach, it ties but does not incorporate the "shear collector", the let in 2x4, into the diaphragm, the plate formed by the floor sheathing. That gap is literally the gap between engineering and the real world  ::).

astidham

Thanks Don,
If I ran a 1x4 after 1 row of sheathing, what would be a good way to block that area...
2x6 or (2) 2x4s? To make the connection to the sheathing.
Thanks,
Todd
— Henry Ford

Don_P

2x6 or even plywood scrap should work, really it's just holding alignment to prevent buckling. If you have access to a planer maybe dress some decking down to 7/8 thickness instead of a 1x4, depends on what that floor is going to finish as.