My 2-story universal and tropical storm winds!!!!!

Started by Jimmy C., September 17, 2008, 09:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy C.

I caught the edge of Gustav August 31st then Sept 13 we had the center of Ike come directly over my place in East Texas.

50 mph winds from the East, then total calm for 20 minutes then 50 mph winds from the West,
Power Outages,
Fallen trees everywhere,
The sound of chainsaws all day...
I moved away from the coast to get away from that crap.

The good news is...
The 2-story house I built on post and beam did not even shake.

I was kinda worried.

And I only lost one of my oaks trees..
Free firewood for next season.
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

glenn kangiser

That is great news, Jimmy.

I knew you did a good job. :)

Glad you came through it with flying colors.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OldDog

We had 70 mph wind at cabin and 81 mph at home from Ike.  No damage to structures at either place.

Power was out at house for 30 hours and still no power at cabin after 4 days.  We have been loaning generators to keep fridges cool and hauling in ice from a local motel.  Neighbors working together.  It seems there is too little of that anymore.
If you live a totally useless day in a totally useless manner you have learned how to live

glenn kangiser

That is great, Old Dog.

I find that good neighbors can partially overcome government failure.  It's nice to know some still continue the old day values rather than the newer government reliance attitude they train people to have so they can own them.

This may well be where the seeds of independent thinking are sown and cultivated growing into something that will be here long after the government failures and financial meltdowns.

Cherish your good neighbors. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jimmy C.

I am always surprised when the neighbors pull together and help everyone out.
Also helping to protect property for people that evacuated.
After Katrina I went with my brother in law to check on his sisters house.
This little old lady that lived next door caught me in the backyard and waved a pistol at me wanting to know who the heck I was and why I was there.
Staring down a pistol I forgot my brother in law's name and his sisters name.
Lucky for me he came around the corner and she knew who he was!
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS