24 X 40 Loft Build in Labrador West

Started by tmcmurran, July 18, 2013, 10:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

Ribs and now the hand how many more body parts are you going to have to offer up before your finished?   ;)

I have a small lite HF framing nailer and once in a while it seems to have a mind of its own.  (Wont say it is possessed but close.)  I bought it to shoot 2.5 inch ring shanks on a shop I built.  Seemed like once a day it had to go lets say spirited with doubles and once in a while then a triple and would settle back down.  It has been on the self since I finished the shop.  I could send you it..... :D

Get healed up and get back at it.......       
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

tmcmurran

Quote from: rick91351 on August 02, 2013, 05:22:20 PM
Ribs and now the hand how many more body parts are you going to have to offer up before your finished?   ;)

I have a small lite HF framing nailer and once in a while it seems to have a mind of its own.  (Wont say it is possessed but close.)  I bought it to shoot 2.5 inch ring shanks on a shop I built.  Seemed like once a day it had to go lets say spirited with doubles and once in a while then a triple and would settle back down.  It has been on the self since I finished the shop.  I could send you it..... :D

Get healed up and get back at it.......       

Just trying to balance things out.  Ribs are on the left and the hand is the right :)  Can not wait till we move onto the roof!  Going to be tied off with a full body harness on at all times the way things are going so far.  You would never know that I am a occupational health and safety officer with over twenty years of mining experience now would you  ???  One would think that I should know better, but following my own advise if not a strong point when trying to get this done in the time allotted.  Sad part about the hand was I was not even rushing this morning :(

rick91351

Quote from: tmcmurran on August 02, 2013, 06:16:25 PM
Just trying to balance things out.  Ribs are on the left and the hand is the right :)  Can not wait till we move onto the roof!  Going to be tied off with a full body harness on at all times the way things are going so far.  You would never know that I am a occupational health and safety officer with over twenty years of mining experience now would you  ???  One would think that I should know better, but following my own advise if not a strong point when trying to get this done in the time allotted.  Sad part about the hand was I was not even rushing this morning :(

Underground or digging huge holes?  So would that be like working for MSHA down here or company mine safety officer?  I in the past have done some exploratory work with a group that looks at and makes offings on old mine works and claims.  Me; I am just a arm chair geologist with no real schooling or training but sort of can see things.  I am really just a tag along.  (But they sort of listen to my ideas.  :o  )  Of course this bunch of investors they are receptive of unworked properties as well.   ;)  I have never been to Labrador yet - it is in my bucket list.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

UK4X4

"You would never know that I am a occupational health and safety officer with over twenty years of mining experience now would you"

I was going to post earlier about being the most "extreme" build so far...........and that statement just cracks me up....

But I think the double broken wrist superman dive wins this years country plans injury of the year !

tmcmurran

If you think I am doing good so far, just wait till the roof :)  That even scares me!

tmcmurran

Quote from: rick91351 on August 02, 2013, 06:41:15 PM
Underground or digging huge holes?  So would that be like working for MSHA down here or company mine safety officer?  I in the past have done some exploratory work with a group that looks at and makes offings on old mine works and claims.  Me; I am just a arm chair geologist with no real schooling or training but sort of can see things.  I am really just a tag along.  (But they sort of listen to my ideas.  :o  )  Of course this bunch of investors they are receptive of unworked properties as well.   ;)  I have never been to Labrador yet - it is in my bucket list.

Mainly open pit and pipe lines.  Out west it was gas pipe lines and oil sands mines, here it is iron ore mining.  Basic concept is the same, blast the rock and move it to the crusher.  Run it through the mills to separate the ore and dry it before shipping out on the train to port.  Never have had the desire to work underground,  have this thing about being buried alive I guess.

tmcmurran

Took a few days off to recover from my war wounds and managed to finish off both side walls and the end facing the lake except for the patio door.  Will finish that off in the morning and onto sheeting the place in before the roofing starts later in the month.  Be nice to have it dry now that we are in our rainy season here.

tmcmurran

I never said I was a carpenter, but just about finished the framing portion anyway. Should have the patio door finished off on Friday, then it is onto sheeting it over starting on Saturday.  Had my generator die on me last night so I needed to blow more money on a new one today :(

This is what it is as of 4:00pm this afternoon...

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

tmcmurran

Quote from: MountainDon on August 08, 2013, 05:05:24 PM
That is a lot of rock!  ;D

I moved all that with a mini excavator and tracked bobcat.  It was far from a pleasant experience after obtaining the approved septic plan back from the survey company that stated silt, sand, gravel and clay to a depth of 6 feet.  After going down 3 feet we hit water :(  Took 35 tandem loads of fill to even get the lot to this point, and I think I still will need to haul another 15 to 20 for back filling everything.  Oh well we are well into it now, and are looking forward to working on the inside out of the rain :)

If you asked a few years back if I ever thought I would be able to get as far as I have I think I would have laughed at the idea.  Never know what you can do till you jump in and go for it.  I have work alone on this pretty much full time.  Would say without a doubt 90-95% of the construction so far has been a single person job.  The roof trusses are another story.  Already have family lined up, and bought the plane tickets to get them here :)

Gotta do what ya gotta do I guess..

cholland

Looking good.
I've been building my 20x32. Mostly solo. Then came the trusses. The roof is 12/12, and I used parallel chord trusses, similar to a scissor truss.  You definitely need help. I only had one or two extras at a time and only really working on it on the weekends. It took a lot longer than expected.
Standing them was easy, getting up there to brace them until there are enough to put plywood on was the challenge. I ended up building a sort of temporary loft floor so I could safely get up there.
Scaffolding would work but that would be pricey. I was able to use materials I had and will reuse, so no cost. If you have some interior walls a catwalk works nice too.

I also managed to stick a rather large splinter deep into the palm of my hand in the process. Not near as bad as your injury, but enough to slow me down for a few days. A week later I pulled another 1/2" of the same splinter out, guess I didn't get it all the first time.

Good luck. Don't look down!

tmcmurran

Quick update this morning.  All the framing of the outer walls has been completed without any further injury :)  Roof Trusses should be in town by the end of the week.  Will start sheathing over the shell this week and hope to have it completed by weeks end and the installation of the trusses around the 21st or 22nd.  Weather here is starting to turn already, so that means we will only have another four weeks or so of decent temperatures in which to complete the shell before the snow flies again for eight months.  I will soon need to get back to work, so my time really needs to be managed as efficiently as possible to get the most done as I am able to.

Looking to be a pretty miserable day here again, but will still head out to see what odds and ends I can do before the next load of material arrive Monday morning.

Have a great Sunday people!

tmcmurran

Been a little slow going on the sheathing, but then again going it alone till today is no cake walk.  Was able to complete three walls now and even cut a few doors and window openings.  Roof is planned for next week, so I really need to get myself going.

Side view, missing a couple of window openings here still.

Patio door overlooking the lake!

tmcmurran

It get's better!  Just found out the the expected roof trusses will not arrive on time.  I guess this would not be an issue if we were in a more southern location, but we will be starting to see frost in the next couple of weeks, and I really did not see myself installing metal roofing covered in ice :(

Oh well, not to much I can do about it at this point.....

germanbird

Impressive progress despite the injuries.  I think you get more done injured than I do when I'm healthy.  Looking good!

tmcmurran

Quote from: germanbird on August 16, 2013, 01:16:25 PM
Impressive progress despite the injuries.  I think you get more done injured than I do when I'm healthy.  Looking good!

Just pig-headed determination :)  Looks like we are going to go ahead with installing all the window and doors next week along with putting the siding on while we wait for the trusses.  Had the father in law flying in to give me a hand with the trusses next week, but since it looks like that will not happen we might as well get as much done as we can while I have a helper :)

tmcmurran

Short update, images to come later.

The roof trusses arrived the other day, a week late mind you but it gave me time to install all the doors and windows as well as ensure that everything else was ready to go.  The 6 foot patio door might prove to be a little challenge, but I will see what I can do once the glass has been removed.  Crane has been priced and as soon as I grab a few bodies to fasten the trusses it should be good to go.  Starting to get frost here in the morning and needed to scrap the ice from the windows the other day.  Need to get this show on the road sooner rather than later.  Metal roofing and ice do not seem like a good mix :)

upndown

Come on tmcmurran, just wrap yourself in packing bubbles like the Michelin Man and you'll be just fine :o Good luck with the trusses! Still loving the view.. Can't buy a view like that in AZ !!

tmcmurran

Quote from: upndown on August 30, 2013, 10:56:30 AM
Come on tmcmurran, just wrap yourself in packing bubbles like the Michelin Man and you'll be just fine :o Good luck with the trusses! Still loving the view.. Can't buy a view like that in AZ !!

;D  Injuries have pretty much healed up now, but still can not sleep on my side yet.  Going a little slower now and looking at what I am doing rather than rushing so much.  Seems to be working so far :)

tmcmurran

Did a little clean up over the long weekend ahead of the crane to lift the trusses up.

I even managed to cut up about a cord of fire wood :)  The other half came out to help with the 6 foot patio door, but once we un-packed it we noticed that the side was damaged and needs to be sent back.  That's ok since the supplier needs to come out this week with the siding, plywood for the roof and the metal roofing :)

tmcmurran

Been a little slow going once again while waiting on the crane to lift the roof trusses into place.  Went out yesterday to install the 6 foot patio door over looking the lake :)

Crane will be on-site this Thursday and all our roofing and siding materials are on-site waiting.  Going to try to get out this afternoon to start setting up the scaffolding so at least everything will be ready to go.

We need to get things moving so everything will be out of the way for back filling.  We have had the odd flurry and ice starting to form on the puddles over the past two weeks, so winter is close.

Jimbo Ricketts

all these one man and one woman builds is getting my hopes up and giving me confidence. good job  [cool]
no mam that's not the crack of my *$$ , its a plumbers pencil holder

tmcmurran

Quote from: Jimbo Ricketts on September 10, 2013, 03:04:51 AM
all these one man and one woman builds is getting my hopes up and giving me confidence. good job  [cool]

It is allot of work going it alone, but not impossible.  A little help here and there will go along way though to speed the process along.  Had to fly the father in law up twice now to lend a hand.  The roof is going to be a two person job since I doubt even with the crane I would be able to get it done in a decent amount of time.  At $155 per hour for the crane I really do not want it to take too long :)  Then the installation of the metal roofing material might be a little bit of a chore trying to do it alone.  Once the trusses are up we will need to tear down all the scaffolding and move it outdoors for the metal and siding.  Still looking like a few more weeks till the outside is all completed, but getting there :)

tmcmurran

Do not think I have been this sore in years  ??? but the trusses and ladders are up.  Took 6.5 hours to raise them with one other person helping.  Boom truck was used due to the second floor built into the trusses.  Will get some better images shortly, just had the work CrackBerry with me for this one.

But on a real positive note, it was an injury free day!!!

rick91351

Now that is so  [cool].  An injury free day!   ;D   Good news as well the trusses are up. :D