electricity question

Started by Jared Drake, October 12, 2005, 09:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Drake

I'm trying to find out how much electricity we use on a daily basis so I can start thinking about windmills and generators that'll supply us with an adequate amount of electricity. I've got last month's electricity bill, but the only problem is, I don't know how to read it. My usage for the month was 1021. Now that i know that what do I do? Are windmills and generators rated at how much elec. they put out a day or what? Please help.
Jared

John Raabe

Before you consider spending money on alternative power systems it is a good idea to find out what you have to have for basic electrical power and what you can give up.

For most of us the conservation potential (the sloppy energy habits we have) is more than 50% of the bill. This is the low-hanging fruit to pluck first as it will save us money and make us more self sufficient even if we do nothing else.

Here is a good overview article on how to calculate these electrical needs:

http://www.sci-ed-ga.org/modules/k6/elec/elec.html
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

That means you used 1021 kilowatt hours (kwh) or 1,021,000 watts during the month (1021x1000).

I can make around 10000 to 15000 watts per day in the summer or 10 to 15 kwh per day.  This equals 300 to 450 kwh per month.  You are currently using about 34 kwh per day.  You would need over twice as much solar and wind power as I have, combined to live as you do now.  Solar and wind power is not constant so you need a back up generator also.

Panels cost about $4.50 per watt.  Figuring 5 peak hours per day you need about 6800 watts of panels or $30600.00 worth of panels alone.  Since this is not real practical it is a good idea to change your usage -all appliances you can to propane -which also cost money but is more efficient especially for heating applications such as clothes driers -heaters etc.  Lights to compact florescent,

You also need inverters, batteries, controllers etc.

Most people on solar get real thrifty with power.  I have friends tied to the grid with 2800 watts solar -it seems that their electric bill is still about $50 per month difference.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

dorothyinak

A great website, for figuring out how much you use, as well as the options you have for off the grid living is:

http://www.absak.com/

It will give you information on how to design a system for your particular needs and location, and is also an on-line store for all the components of an off-grid system.

This link will get you to a page that will help figure out what you and your appliances use day to day.

http://www.absak.com/design/load.html

Jared Drake

at 1.50$ a gallon, would propane really be a good alternative? We've actually replaced all our lights with cfl's a long time ago. now, our usage i suppose is coming from people not turning lights off when they leave a room (i'm trying to change that) and running a box fan all night every night to help me sleep. other than this computer, i can't really think of anything we do differnetly or anything that we can turn off.
jared

glenn kangiser

I haven't really worked the numbers out-- I have a demand water heater and propane refrigerator -no clothes drier - (clothes lines can replace that)- we currently use about $450 per year est. propane.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Billy Bob

Jared,  are you planning a new home  off grid or    to retrofit your present home?  If the latter, and  intent is to economise,  take a HARD look at energy usage. Off the shelf technology is not cheap, and  takes a  long time to payback without strict conservation.
Current estimates are around 13,000 kwh average annual US residential usage.  Unless you had  particularly high usage just for the month you mentioned, you are right up there in the average consumption range.  Bearing in mind all the heavy users included in the statistical analysis, you can probably expect to find more ways to conserve.
You might look into motion sensors for the lighting, which  turn off the lights after a set period of nobody moving around.
Do you have electric hot water?  More insulation, and a setback thermostat will help lots.
How old is your fridge? A newer, (and maybe smaller), energy star compliant model could pay for itself in a relatively short time.
Can you find more efficient ways to ventilate/cool than the box fan?
How much electrical "leakage" do you have?  Many newer "gadgets" use power all the time they are plugged in, even when not actively "on".  Any one is a small amount, but in aggregate can really add up.
Glenn's remark about clothes dryers is a biggy. It takes time to hang out the wash, but  think about  the hours you must work to pay for the dryer,and  the electricity to run it.  Personally I relish being outdoors. ;)
Many utility companies today have conservation programs, ranging from helpful literature to doing an energy survey of your home, and even some "free" labor and equipment to upgrade.
Have fun!  
Bill