Newbie Questions

Started by USinUK, January 09, 2006, 03:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USinUK

Some questions

1) Has anyone here used ICFs and/or SIPS to reduce price and construction time?
   Please share your story

2) I am looking for ideas. I own a piece of an English Train Staion where the former
   station master used to live. It is 1600sqft. I have land to the right side of it about
  23x25. I was planning to put the kitchen in there but then, I am not sure what type
  of room(s) would work out where the kitchen would have been.  Would anyone here like
  to look at my plans and give me some tips/ideas? Thanks.

Morgen

I'm not sure what your goals are.  Can I assume that there is living space upstairs for Bed and bath?  Assuming that...

At one time I made a living by being the "designer" for home remodels.  If all you are after is a larger kitchen it might be worth thinking about switching the dining/living room area with the kitchen...I think you would see a huge reduction in cost.

What is next to the bathroom???

John Raabe

Do a seach on SIPS and you will find quite a bit of discussion. Not the inexpensive way to go but it can save you time if you have a short building season (and heavy equipment access). ICF (Insulated concrete forms) make sense if you are using below grade space for living area. Otherwise there is little reason to spend the extra money over a standard foundation.

Just my opinion.
None of us are as smart as all of us.