Exterior grade plywood for walls: Can it be left without a wrap for winter

Started by sharbin, November 28, 2008, 01:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharbin

I am wondering whether an exterior grade plywood sheathing for the walls can be left without a housewrap during winter. I read on some of the sites that exterior grade can be left for years!

Thanks

Jochen

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. I know when you look at the specification of the plywood manufacturers it should be possible! But these exterior grade plywood has so many imperfections. And you are punching in a lot of holes with your nails and screws so water can penetrate there as well. And a role of house wrap isn't much money but would let you sleep better.

I left my house only covered with house wrap for a nearly a year, 6 - 7 month of that were a harsh, cold and very wet Canadian winter.

Jochen

sharbin

Thanks for the advise. My question stems not from the cost but rather the logistics of getting to the location and building scaffolds to lay the warps with a 2 feet of snow and a stretch of 5 km road that is not cleared by the municipality. :-(

PEG688

Yes it could be done , is it a great idea , NO. But IF you have a roof on and no windows installed , IE lots of air movement and nothing to prevent it from drying out quickly you MIGHT get away with it.   Snow won't really stick to it , so snow verse rain snow would be LESS of a problem.

If you DO NOT have a roof over it , the sidewalls will be wet anyway with or without the wrap , the moisture will get behind the wrap and that would cause bigger issues as it WOULD NOT dry out as quickly.

So theres a non-answer,  with more questions , but food for thought depending on your specific situation.  d*

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

sharbin

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the roof is on (well, it should be done by Monday as my contractor is currently building the roof) and no there are no windows yet but thinking of blocking the opinning with plywood or plastic sheets so that not to let the snow get inside.

PEG688

Quote from: sharbin on November 28, 2008, 03:11:15 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the roof is on (well, it should be done by Monday as my contractor is currently building the roof) and no there are no windows yet but thinking of blocking the opinning with plywood or plastic sheets so that not to let the snow get inside.

I'd do plywood over the windows but I'd add a 2x4 nailed to the wall at the bottom so the ply over the opening would be slightly angled AND NOT tight to the wall so it would act as a vent , BUT it would prevent wind blown snow and rain inside the building.

So a win,  win. Prevent water from getting in and allow lots of air movement to aid in quicker drying out of moisture.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

sharbin

Thanks for the advice.

Quote from: PEG688 on November 28, 2008, 03:16:55 PM

I'd do plywood over the windows but I'd add a 2x4 nailed to the wall at the bottom so the ply over the opening would be slightly angled AND NOT tight to the wall so it would act as a vent , BUT it would prevent wind blown snow and rain inside the building.

So a win,  win. Prevent water from getting in and allow lots of air movement to aid in quicker drying out of moisture.