Vapor barriers and insulation question

Started by scw, September 01, 2005, 01:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scw

I am finishing up the rough cut board and batten siding on the camp in a week or two.  My question is about vapor barriers.  It is a timber framed camp.  So I have a horizontal top plate and a floor plate, with a horizontal nailer between.  All siding is vertically nailed into these and the posts and cross bracing.  I was thinking of tarpapering the siding from the inside, then insulation, then paneling.  It is built in a barn style and the siding has lots of worm holes and I expected water to get between the battens in places.  I know I need to let the wood breathe so do not want to go with Tyvek.  Any suggestions on tar paper and insulation type would be appreciated.
Thanks.

scw

Thanks Jimbob and welcome.  I will look into it.  There is a lot of conflicting information out there regarding this topic.

Chuckca

Do a forum search....there's a lot posts dealing with VB's....helpful info...

Cheers

JRR

scw

In my unknowing opinion, you have a good plan.  You might consider putting some vertical furring strips inside, against your nailers.  This would assure a drainage plane outside your felt paper.  Be sure to include some flashing, or something, to lead the water "outwards" at the bottom of the wall.  Perhaps some screened drain holes will have to be installed.  

My insulation of choice is cellulose or foam.

glenn-k

I have been thinking about this a bit since I use a lot of real wood and am doing some more soon.

I am planning on running 30 lb tar paper horizontally - a 1/2" vertical strip over the tar paper every 2 feet then the 3 horizontal nailers, top bottom and center over the vertical strips.  The board and batten will go on the 3 horizontal strips. this will leave a gap between the horizontal nailers and the tar paper so all water that gets past the siding can drain out.  screen can be put in the bottom if desired.  A cheap rain screen wall can be made in this way. Trim to fit.

Amanda_931

What are you going to use for your nailers  (nailed or even fastened with landscape screws through to studs?)?

Something that would work for me, I think.

glenn-k

I would rip probably about 1/2 x 1 1/2 or use 1x2's  and nail them on -being lazy I would probably shoot them to the studs wih a nail gun over the felt then use 1x4's horizontaly top bottom and middle then vertical boards and battens over top.    Actually just a spacer block at each stud is all that would be necessary to give the drainage space under the horizontal members although the 1x2 may be easier to work with and not as likely to split.

jb

perfect timing for this thread to pop up again...but what I need to know is what is the easiest way to attatch the felt to concrete walls prior to the strips ? Can I glue it on with some type of adhesive, and then screw in the furring ? My walls are all concrete....thanks all.... ;)

JRR

jb
I've had some good luck with "PL" prem poly construction adhesive in sticking on roll roofing.  Avail at Home Depot.  HD also has a roofing sealant (that I can't remember who makes, perhaps PL) that works well as an adhesive as well as sealant.  Both are applied with caulking guns.

You may find it easier to install your felt vertically.

scw

Thanks for all the advice.  I think I'll do the overlapping horizontal 30lb. tar paper with some vertical furring strips on the inside, then insulate, then finish wood.

glenn-k

jb, after you glue the felt up you could shoot the furring strips on over it with a powder actuated fastener such as the Ramset gun - shoots concrete nails directly through the furring strips and into the concrete.  You would probably want the nails long enough to go about 1" into the concrete.

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&ProductOID=648659&CNTKEY=Products_2%2FPower+Tools%2FPAT+Tools+%26+Accessories%2FPAT+Tools&pagetitle=Ramset+00122+Ramset+HD22+Value+Kit

I also found these hammer drive fasteners to go into predrilled holes.

http://www.ramset-redhead.com/redidrive_prod01.asp