Window & Door Self Stick Flashing Materials

Started by MountainDon, March 19, 2012, 06:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Over the past few years I've now used three different brands of self stick flexible flashing materials. Two different brands on the cabin; I do not remember their names. I know I bought one at Home depot and the other at Lowes a month ot two apart. Today I flashed a new window here at home. I used Grace Vycor Plus. It was what PEG had recommended back when I was planning our cabin, but I could not find it locally at the time.

I don't have scientific evidence as I'm only going by memory. It doers seem to me that the Vycor Plus product uses a stickier adhesive material. I remember having a few edges that did not adhere well until I rolled the bejeebers out of it. The Vycor set very nicely today. Maybe it's my imagination or faulty memory. ???  Has anyone else used different brands and had one stick better than the other?

Note: I still could not find Vycor plus locally. I found the Vycor Plus on Home Depot's website as a web only item. Strange enough it was slightly cheaper than the same amount of the "other brand" they carry in stock in the stores. Free shipping too (on $45 or more).
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Kiwi55

If you are using Tvyek, Dupont straightflash sticks great. I believe they also make a flexible flashing but I hav'nt used it.
It is expensive though.
...Paul

MountainDon

I meant to add that I like the "ripcord" that Grace uses. It's a fine filament embedded in the adhesive. Once you learn the knack to finding and pulling it, the ripcord makes it easy to split or tear the release paper down the length of the piece of flashing. being able to remove only half the paper makes it easier in placing the flashing when doing sills and jambs.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

flyingvan

I don't remember which brand either--it came from Lowe's.  However, I did learn that doing the flashing was a hot weather day project.  It was much stickier then.  On a cold day it'd flip up, and if any dust got on it, it wouldn't stick well at all.
Find what you love and let it kill you.