Why now is a good time to hire building help

Started by John Raabe, January 18, 2011, 11:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

This chart says it all. Lots of builders and construction subs are looking for work

None of us are as smart as all of us.

rwanders

:)  And the availability of quality craftsmanship is better now too along with somewhat better prices!  Those with marginal skills have had to find other occupations.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

paul s

True in many ways but still get all their licience numbers  and copies  their insurance certiicates.  You ask why, I went on a water damage job just  a week ago and an improperly installed metal roo_ "sorry that key between d and g is not working" and a real mess. insurance company is looking or the contractor and the good thing is they are covering the loss which is over $ 10,000.

MountainDon

Paul, I had the same f--- problem a while back on our Gateway Laptop. If it's a laptop you can swap it out yourself. I found the part and excellent service at  laptopjacks.com.  Less than $30 for the keyboard itself.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

paul s

woowww  thanks i will put my techie son on it thanks a mint

metolent

I've definitely found that to be the case.  Insulation is one of the areas where it doesn't seem to pay to DIY.  I had priced everything out to get exactly what I wanted (R38-C for cathedral ceiling, R21 for walls, R38 for floor) from what seemed like every place I could find.  Total came to ~$3200 for materials only.  Then figured it would take a few days to get it in myself. 

Should be the cheapest way to go, right?  NO! 

Several quick calls to insulation contractors with bids in the $2000 range for the same materials + labor + energy seal.  I've since added the FSK paper (for under all of the ceilings which will be covered in cedar T&G) and sound insulation for all interior walls and floors and the bid is still at ~$2500.  I'll still be on site to make sure it's done to my satisfaction, but I'll be watching them get it done.