Long Term Project in NY's SouthernTier

Started by SouthernTier, April 23, 2010, 08:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pocono_couple

hey there,  your shed looks great.   like me,  it looks like you took some time off from posting..  I have continued working on our house, but i got sidetracked two years ago when i bought a sailboat..  i am also on a sailing forum, and i posted the question there.. has the sailing gotten in the way of finishing the house, or is the house getting in the way of sailing?   i understand your previous statement about having too many hobbies!

in fact, lived at our house all last summer, and we will be moving into it permanently  this summer.   And, i have been chipping away at the interior ever so slowly.   

But,  i am anxious to see our plans for your next project.   how far away from the site to you live?   jt

SouthernTier

I am saving up for the cabin, which is the main reason for the lack of progress.  Waiting for my daughter to start college next year to see how the finances are (son is getting close to finishing up).  Also, work has been real busy this past year with a lot of travel.  But for financing the cabin, that is a good thing I guess.

I had really hoped to get my spring developed last year.  That was to be my 2012 project, but it never got done.  Hopefully for 2013, I get the spring developed so I have water, and also I plan to extend the driveway to the building site, which means installing a culvert across a creek. 

Those two projects take a lot of work and not so much money as a cabin, so they should be doable for 2013.  We'll see.

pocono_couple

I realize that that my timing is way off, but I  was reading your  commentary on  building the outhouse, and when I got to the part about porcupines,  I thought that I should pass this on.. perhaps you have already read the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Theres-Porcupine-Outhouse-Misadventures-Discovery/dp/1931868123

I love this guy's humor,  and any owner builder would probably appreciate the experiences that this guy describes.

I also just finished a book this summer that my daughter sent to me called Cabin  -  a very interesting read, particularly since my next building project will be in Maine, and because the author lived in Toms River NJ, where I  happened to be hanging out on our boat while reading the book..

http://www.amazon.com/Cabin-Brothers-Dream-Acres-Maine/dp/B00BRAQHE0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378767536&sr=1-1&keywords=cabin+building+in+the+maine+woods

please do not construe these links as an endorsement of amazon.. just happened to find both books there.. jt