Windows 7 Experience

Started by MountainDon, December 08, 2009, 11:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I have Windows 7, not as an upgrade to some previous version, but as a new factory made laptop with Win 7 Home premium 64 bit pre-installed. FWIW, in case anyone is interested, I'll record my impressions on Win 7 and migrating applications. Any other EWin 7 users feel free to jump in.

The new Computer: Dell Studio 15, Intel Duo core T6600 2.2 GHz CPU with 2 MB L2 cache, 4 GB RAM, 540 GB HDD

FIRST... for you users of Mozilla's Firefox browser and Thunderbird email client I found a very easy profile mover. It's a third party free program called Mozbackup. I used it to move my email profiles (all 6) and all associated email, address books with ease. Ditto on moving all the Firefox bookmarks.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

Win7 is a big change when moving from XP. Many things work differently.

The built in Win7 help and support has been great. I've done a phrase search on a few tasks and the needed assistance has popped up without having to do a lot of refining.  :D

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I read on Amazon that you can upgrade it to Professional from Premium, and there is an XP emulation mode for programs that won't run on 7.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NM_Shooter

I've been running Win7 for 3 or 4 weeks now, on an ASUS laptop from Best Buy.  I thought that the networking ability is outstanding.  Very, very easy to network. 

It still has application crashes from which it does not recover...notably IE. 

I have some quirks that I am attempting to work through.  For instance, when I attach my backup hard drive, it takes a long time to recognize and map. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

John Raabe

Most interesting. I just bought the same Dell computer Don mentions in his first post. 64 bit Win 7 installed in a powerful laptop. I'm hoping to use it with my keyboard, mouse and large screen monitor as a desktop replacement - so I can just unplug when I hit the road.

Now I'm constantly trying to keep a desktop and laptop in sync.

I experimented with Win 7 for awhile and it seems to run most of my old programs (including some that date back to 16 bit DOS). I will let you know how these work on the new 64 bit machine.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

Frank, yes the network setup was the easiest I have ever done. The other two computers were found, and online in almost no time. Although I did have to manually enter their IP's in the security software trusted list. But that's no biggie.

I'm pretty happy at this time. It's especially nice having an "F" key that works.   ;D

John, that sounds like a very workable plan. My brother in law has done that for some time. I have to do some software installations and hope things go well with some of the older products. We'll see.

Glenn, I believe the possibilty to change Home premium into Professional only works with n upgrade or a full version new disk, not with the OEM pre-installed OS. I might be wrong on that but it seems to be that I read something about that a month ago.

phalynx

I have been an early beta tester for W7.  I've been using it for almost a year now and I must say that even the beta versions were rock solid.  Its been a dream compared to Vista. 

peternap

This is a little frightening. A new version of Windows that seems to work. ???
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

It's still early in the game, but I am impressed. I've installed a couple old programs, both dating from the days of Windows 98 They function! Okay one of them has a segment that won't. I receive a not compatible with the 64 bit system message. BUT, it does not crash Win 7. I've never used that segment of the program so it matters not.  :D

MountainDon

I just found out it is possible to upgrade this Home Premium version of Win 7 to Pro or Ultimate online by paying some extra to MS. That's kind of cool. Not that I need it.

glenn kangiser

I have one program - Quickbooks 2003, that I heard will not run on Vista, so I assume the same of 7, so I would upgrade for XP compatibility to get that to run.  Every year they (Intuit) upgrade it and add tons of bloatware for a extravagant price.  I just want to keep using the old one that works just fine.  I do my books on it - invoices etc.

Amazon has the upgrade preloaded in some deals and you just pay a bit to get the unlock code.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

MountainDon

The Win7 calculator does square roots!!!!   

glenn kangiser

I am jumping on the wagon with this now.  The XP compatibility mode in professional may let me use my Quickbooks I hope.

My inverter is going out on my HP screen (screen occasionally goes to rolling snow) besides having replaced 2 hard drives (one unrecoverable as it was the system drive - had to go to the factory - came back a bit messed up but usable).  That has happened on one of my other HPs.  My CD player is out.  My screen hinge is broke.  My charging cord - replaced 3 times, is intermittent again at the case plug this time.  It's pretty outdated besides.

I couldn't find a much better deal than this... http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-P505-S8970-18-4-Inch-Laptop/dp/B002OL2LUA/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

I wanted the 18.4 inch screen since I use it in place of a desktop computer.

HP Laptop sound systems pretty much suck.  I'm hoping for better on the Toshiba.

The upgrade is pretty cheap from premium to pro on the anytime upgrade($85)

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Anytime-Upgrade-Professional/dp/B002JYU5WI/ref=br_lf_m_1000432591_1_2_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=software&pf_rd_p=493372291&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000432591&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ZHB2ZVPKHWTPMQEAS0T

- not the full upgrade ($185)-

QuoteWindows Anytime Upgrade
No disks, no delays. And no leaving the house: With Windows Anytime Upgrade, you can upgrade to a more advanced edition of Windows 7 in as little as 10 minutes. That way, you get to take advantage of extra features while keeping your current programs, files, and settings intact.

In the past, upgrading Windows could be a bit of a hassle. In Windows 7, the software you need comes preinstalled. All you have to do is purchase an upgrade key from Microsoft or another authorized retailer to unlock those shiny new features.

Get more now. Move up to Windows 7 Professional.
Windows 7 Professional has everything you need for work and home. Run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode2 and keep important information safer with file encryption and automatic back-ups. Connect to business networks and move more easily between business and home networks. And with all the great entertainment features of Windows Home Premium, like Windows Media Center, it's great for home as well as for business.

I spent several hours in town looking last night - couldn't beat Amazon and couldn't find one 18.4" computer of any brand or price.

considerations

I've been using Toshiba laptops since 1995 (yes they made them back then), except for a short stint with a used IBM which crashed with the blue screen of death. 

The Toshibas are really reliable, they never died, the technology just got left behind so I had to move up.  I haven't had a desktop for years.

The sound has improved, but don't expect much from any laptop speakers...headphones or external speakers give you wonderful full rich sound.   :D 

Good investment in my book.

glenn kangiser

Thanks, considerations.  We also have a plug in sound system that is small but surprisingly good sounding with a sub-woofer on the floor... It will shake the room pretty good.....for when we really want to get into a movie or rock and roll. 

We don't watch TV so a big computer is it for us.  We also have a computer projector - just pull the sheet off the bed - hang it up and we have our own drive in theater... to lazy to use it more than once every couple years though.

OkieJohn2

I have been using Windows 7 64 bit version since the Release Candidate came out.  This is in a desktop computer that I built myself and I originally had XP home premium SP3 on it. I liked it a lot from day one. I also pre-ordered the upgrade version when it was available for fifty bucks.  One slight problem I had was that the release version requires "signed drivers" which the RC didn't. I had to get a new wireless adapter that would work, my cheap Edimax slot mount adapter wouldn't work.  I did find a really great usb adapter that was plug and play with Win 7. It is from Zonet(had never heard of them but works better for me than the "name brand: ones. I don't want to mention the Etailer I ordered it from because I don't think that is allowed here BUT......may I take this opportunity to recommend this forum for anyone who has computer problems:
http://www.eggxpert.com/
This is my second favorite forum(guess which is No 1) The advice available there is top notch with virtually no drama.
Anyway, back to Win 7, with the home premium version, many XP programs will install in XP compatibility mode.  The more expensive versions let you run a virtual XP machine within Win7.
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

glenn kangiser

Thanks - didn't find that info earlier. 

It is OK to post third party links if it benefits other members.  The advertising limitation is mainly on self promotion or commercial third party advertisers.

MountainDon

Well now, I have a list of programs that have given me grief.   :(

MS Publisher 2002
MS Office XP  (Open Office... OOo will take the place of MS Office)
Sony Vegas Pro Movie editor, v 7
Adobe Acrobat Pro, v 7
Roxio Easy CD/DVD  7
Garmin Mapsource 2.02
Norton Ghost 12, I bought v 15
Cool Edit Pro 2 (sound editor)

Mostly those are all old and have upgrade$ available. I can also still run them on the XP desktop.  

Electrical Designer Resource kit... this was a complete and utter disaster!! After the initial install failed, it would keep trying to reinstall every time the computer would boot. Windows "remove programs" would not. Windows "restore" would not. I could kill it through Task Manager, but it came back on every reboot. JV16 Tools would not repair the OS. Neither would CCleaner. In the end I copied all my data files to the Toshiba USB external drive and then used the system recovery, wiping out everything and putting the system back to a new box configuration.  >:(  I'm back up and running and have now completed reinstalling all the programs that worked. I've also done a couple full system backups along the way just in case something else messes with Win7.

On the other hand some other equally old software runs fine.
Photoshop 7
Hotmetal 6
Nat Geo Topo!
Paint Shop Pro 7

So this raises the question of upgrading Windows 7 Home Premium to Professional. ??? I've read divided opinions on the XP that it has built in. I've read some say it runs sluggish. That you then have a second OS to keep updated and secure.... ???  

While I had a messed up system I also tried several other oldies that I use infrequently and found most to work.

Anyhow, I still like Win7, just don't like the fact that I have some 'too old' software.

glenn kangiser

Bummer that there are problems with that many.  My computer has been shipped but not the upgrade yet.  Soon we will see.

I hate program problems because I always feel challenged to fix them ..... [frus]

...and it's not my fault... [noidea'

MountainDon

Chill. I'm sort of the same way, but this time I'm chilling. I didn't cause the problem. I didn't even get angry when I had a mess, just said okay, that's bad. We'll start over.  I'm proud of myself. I've done a few things with OOo (that's the officvial shorthand for OpenOffice.org) and it works nicely.  Gotta save the ranting for something that's worth it.   ;D

I don't use some of those with the problems much anyways.

I'll be making another disc image tonight.

glenn kangiser

I read on Vista that the problems causing the incompatibility were actually corrections to old bad programming that had been allowed to continue by MS and that now the time has come to correct that.  I can live with the compatibility mode or virtual machine and am hoping that will work with the programs I would like to run.

I have a full copy of MS Office - it is old and I don't use it at all often but would like it to work.  It is rather expensive to upgrade and I don't need an upgrade.... it is far beyond my capabilities already... [waiting]

MountainDon

OkieJohn2

Earlier this year the price on Office 2007 dropped drastically, as I remember the Office 2007 Small Business upgrade was as low as $99.95.  Its now back up to $ 239.99 or more.  I should have gotten it then. The best deal right now is the Home and Student edition 3 pack. This contains Excel, Word and PowerPoint and can be installed on three computers, I have seen it for about eighty five bucks or so.
Don, have you messed around with the desktop gadgets yet, some fun stuff there. I really like the retro looking cpu monitor, two dials show cpu and memory usage.
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

MountainDon

Gadgets.... yessir I have.  ;)

The Win 7 workspace is getting to feel real good.   :) :)

I don't use Word, Excel and Access much at all any more, so I think I'm going to be satisfied with OOo.   8)